Counters

                                                           Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Nearly half a million babies (1 in 10) are born premature in the US each year which is higher than that of most other developed nations. This is the journeys of our first born son, Finnegan, who was born 14 weeks early and weighed only 1 pound 15 ounces at birth. Of our daugher, Korrigan, who was born a healthy 7 pounds, 7 ounces at 37 weeks. And of our second son, MacKeegan, who was also born at 37 weeks at a whopping 8 pounds, 13 ounces. Our continued adventures reminds us daily how good God is.

Thursday, October 29

Diaper Watch 2009

Finn is still soaking through his diapers at night! The size 2-3 Pampers Swaddlers did not work. Becky and Pete graciously volunteered to watch Finn last night so I could run some errands for our Halloween party. While I was out, per Nicki's advice (which I very much appreciate), I grabbed a package for size 3 Pampers Baby Dry instead of Swaddlers. Nope, didn't work either. I just don't know what to do. The problem, I think, is that he sleeps on his tummy (nothing I can do about it...he rolls there instantly) and there is only so much soaking up ability in the front of the diaper. This morning, his whole front was soaked. I gave him a sponge bath with wipes! Hey, we were on a schedule with no time for a bath. Any other diaper suggestions?

Finn is sick. He slept from 3:30 until 6:30 last night and then woke up, took a bath, ate and went right back to bed. Should have been clue number one, right? Well, I had to wake him up this morning at 9:30 to go to his PT appointment. He was congested and had a running nose with lots of sneezes. Toward the end of PT, he just lost it. He slept for about an hour when we got back before waking up on his own. Great, I thought. I can feed him and we can go to ECFE. Nope. He started eating and after three or four bites, he just lost it again. So I decided eating cereal wasn't a priority and gave him a bottle. He ate that and snuggled for over half an hour (NOT like my little boy). I decided no ECFE for today (darn it, it was the Preemie class, too!). I just laid him down and he went down without a peep. He has a temp of 100.3, which isn't bad, but I'm keeping any eye on it. He is coughing a little, stuffy, sneezing and lethargic. I talked to his nurse and she said to watch for the normal symptoms. If he gets really congested, she suggested to turn the shower on hot and sit in the bathroom with the steam. We may have to do that. Seems like everybody is run down or has something right now. Yuck!

Melissa was very happy with Finn's progress today at PT. His neck is getting noticeably stronger. He can actually lift his head towards his right shoulder whereas before, he would just leave it straight with his body. Also, his sitting is much improved, which I also noticed in the last couple of days. He tolerates it a lot more and is able to keep his body from just leaning all the way forward and hurting his tummy. He still likes to push back so he can lay down, but we are getting there. Also, he is a roller. He has no problems going from front to back and back to front. The only thing PT wants us to work on with rolling is having him roll from his back towards his left side. That will also help with strengthening his neck. Overall, great appointment.

Progress on the home health care! Care Mark called today and insurance approved 100% through the end of March. Yeah! Now they are contacting a company that actually provide the home service (I guess Care Mark just provides the medication?!?! I'm not really sure). Hopefully we hear something in the next couple of days. This whole process has been nothing but aggravating and frustrating. I wish Children's had been able to provide the service like they did this spring. I just want Finn to get what he needs! I still don't know how/when he will get the second dose of the regular flu shot, because I don't know if Care Mark provides that, or the H1N1 vaccine. I guess one thing at a time (again, argh!).

6 comments:

Becky A said...

Poor Finn! Not fun but at least he's sleeping which is wonderful. Sleep heals. We use the Pampers Cruisers size 3 and that prevents leaks for us. There are no size 3 Swaddlers in Pampers as far as I know but with a little boy it might be different. You can borrow a few if you want to to try it out.

Yay for a good PT appointment but I'm sorry he's sick!

Anonymous said...

Hi,
if he continues to have a temp-you may want to ask MD if he should have his flu shots or not. They may want to wait until fever clears. Just a thought. Following daily as usual and sorry he is under the weather-DeAnn

Stacy Thomas said...

Thanks for the suggestion DeAnn. Unfortunately, I don't think he will be getting his flu shot any time soon and hopefully he will be better by the time that he does. But I will keep that in mind. Becky, I guess we'll try Cruisers next! Can't hurt right?!?! Geez, you'd think there would be a solution out there. I hope Lily feels better soon. I swear Finn and Lily have a special connection...but that doesn't mean they have to both be sick at the same time;)

Rebecca said...

dang, I thought the 3's would do the trick. ok, i have 2 other suggestions for you.

I can't remember which mom told me this, but with the boys only, they had to make sure before they fastened the diaper, that the boys, ahem...private part....was pointing down. :) Otherwise, the pee mainly goes to the top of the diaper where it obviously can't hold everything.

My other tip, which I'm almost positive will work for you if you don't mind the extra hassle - this is what we did before we figured out we needed bigger diapers. We put Jaleah's regular diaper on for the night and then we put a swim diaper on top of it. The swim diaper got everything the regular diaper didn't keep in and her clothes were never wet in the morning. Now, you could buy pull-ups instead. We just used swim diapers because we happened to have a bunch left. Buy whatever size you think would be a little big on him, since that is the point - to go over the other diaper.

Stacy Thomas said...

Rebecca, thanks for the suggestions. At the risk of forever embarrassing Finn one day in the distant future, his "thing" is too small to point in any direction, I think. I will try though, as a couple other people suggested the same. The swimmers/pull ups are a good idea, too! Hey, I'll try anything if it will work. Thanks again!

Mindy said...

Huggies overnights! they work wonders!! I think the smallest size they come in is 3. I could never find 3's at Target, but usually could at Babies 'R Us.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers