Counters

                                                           Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Nearly half a million babies (1 in 10) are born premature in the US each year which is higher than that of most other developed nations. This is the journeys of our first born son, Finnegan, who was born 14 weeks early and weighed only 1 pound 15 ounces at birth. Of our daugher, Korrigan, who was born a healthy 7 pounds, 7 ounces at 37 weeks. And of our second son, MacKeegan, who was also born at 37 weeks at a whopping 8 pounds, 13 ounces. Our continued adventures reminds us daily how good God is.

Friday, May 8

Sleep...finally!

Finn slept last night! There are three things that were different than normal. #1. I kept him doped up on Tylenol because of his immunization shots yesterday. #2. I shut off the baby monitor in my room. I was hearing every little cough and grunt. I mean, his room is across the hall and we leave both doors open. I think I'll hear him if he needs me (and I'd certainly hear his monitor!). #3. I had him sleep in his car sear! Okay, before you freak out, I wasn't too sure about doing this either. I saw on a TV show that a family did that with their baby when he wouldn't sleep in his crib. So, it got me thinking. Then last night, I asked about it at our Preemie class and the facilitator said it was okay as long as he passed his car seat test at the hospital (which he did with flying colors!) and we kept him buckled in to avoid a strangling hazard with the straps (which we always do anyway). So I thought I'd try it. Jim was still out of town and I was on my own.

I fed him around 8pm and he was so tired (I'm assuming from the shots and the subsequent fussiness) that I put him to bed. I went to bed between 10 and 10:30, knowing he would wake me up around 11pm (he usually eats every three hours). Well, I woke up around 1am! I changed him and fed him and he went right back to sleep. Only to wake me up a little before 6am! You have to understand, he NEVER goes this long, especially without a pacifier, which he didn't have most of the night. I had to go in and get him at 7:30 because he was fussy, but I just brought him in my bed at that point and we slept until 9am. If all nights could be like this, life would be so much less fuzzy (since I'm tired most of the time!). Now, it is only a sampling of one night and like I said, it could have been from the Tylenol or me not hearing him all the time from his baby monitor and not just the car seat...but I'll take it and hope for more nights like that! Dad gets home tonight, so I'll have to deal with snoring, too!

My friend Amanda and her two kids, Taylor and Gavin, came over for a little bit this morning. It was good to see them and I know Taylor, who is 5, has been looking forward to meeting baby Finn. She even got to hold him for a while. It was really good to catch up with Amanda. For now, we are both stay-at-home moms, so hopefully we can do it on a regular basis!

1 comment:

kborn said...

I looked forward to immunizations because I knew it meant sleep!!

:)

Q's really got to learn this sleeping thing...brilliant idea with the car seat! Especially if there's still a little reflux! A slight angle is great!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers