Counters

                                                           Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Nearly half a million babies (1 in 10) are born premature in the US each year which is higher than that of most other developed nations. This is the journeys of our first born son, Finnegan, who was born 14 weeks early and weighed only 1 pound 15 ounces at birth. Of our daugher, Korrigan, who was born a healthy 7 pounds, 7 ounces at 37 weeks. And of our second son, MacKeegan, who was also born at 37 weeks at a whopping 8 pounds, 13 ounces. Our continued adventures reminds us daily how good God is.

Wednesday, June 22

Struggling

It is really hard for me to admit it, but I've been struggling lately. By the end of each day, I just don't have anything left to give to anybody, least of all Korri, who needs the most attention in the evenings. I thought I was handling it okay until Finn's EI teacher, Deb, came over on Tuesday and I just lost it. I couldn't stop crying and I finally admitted to her some thoughts I've been feeling that are anything but "good mommy" thoughts. She was terrific and asked me to call my OB about being seen for postpartum depression. I called right when she left and was able to get in that afternoon. Again, thank you to Becky for immediately agreeing to watch the kids for me (she always seems to save the day for me!).

The appointment went well. We discussed what I've been feeling and the issues surrounding taking care of Korri. She said what I'm experiencing is called "situational depression" and because it is within 12 months since I've had a baby, it is also labeled at postpartum depression. I love Korri so much, but she is a very high maintenance baby. And what makes it even harder, is when we are out, people comment on how good she is, which makes me feel like even more of a failure (or a liar!). So, the dr set four courses of action out for me.

1. Start taking Zolft, the most researched anti-depression medication for postpartum mothers. She gave me the prescription for it, but I haven't filled it. I think I need to find out more about it before I take that leap. If I start, I would have to stay on it for 6 to 12 months, which I don't know if I'm comfortable with.

2. Go see a counselor who specializes in postpartum depression. I got the numbers of two my OB clinic recommends this morning and called the one that is closest to my house. I am waiting to hear back.

3. She gave me a brochure for a postpartum depression support group. I don't know if I will go, but it is an option.

4. She gave me the number of the lactation consultants at Abbott. So much of my frustration and happiness surrounds Korri's feedings. When we have a bad feeding, my whole world falls apart and I immediately think she will never nurse again. My dr thought it might be nice to go in and either have them tell me everything is prefect or if it isn't, give me some suggestions to make it go better.

I feel like there are things I can do to make this situation better. I just feel so much pressure because Jim and Korri haven't really been able to bond, so I feel like I'm the only thing/person Korri has in the world and if I fall apart, she has nothing...which makes me feel even worse. The hard thing about how I feel, is that for most of the day, I feel fine, but when one thing goes wrong (or Korri is extra fussy), I just can't handle it. I feel like a terrible mom for admitting that and making the call to my OB was probably the hardest I've made. But at least I'm doing something for the better and not just wallowing in the bad. One day/evening at a time!

1 comment:

kborn said...

I hear you girl! Add on working 50 hours a week with an hour commute each way and you're in my world. From my experience at work, antidepressants take about 2-4 weeks to really start taking affect...but could be helpful. LUCKILY for me, Vince is a cool dude and at least sleeps 95% of the night. But, Mommy and Daddy rarely get to chill out with their kiddos!!!
Let me know if we can help at all. We definitely need to see each other more! It's tough seeing as Vince isn't so happy if he's not in bed close to 7:30 and we're rarely back in town before 6pm.....

Daisypath Anniversary tickers