I've always seen "those" parents who can't go out to dinner without calling to make sure their child is okay and thought how pathetic it is. Well, I now understand. Around 10pm last night, I had to call Finn's nurse to check in and see how he was doing. I just did not feel good about his situation when we left the hospital earlier. I guess I've become one of "those" parents!
I talked to Finn's nurse (Lisa, whom we really like) and she told me he was much improved. In fact, when she did his 8pm cares, he got mad at her, which was a huge improvement from earlier. She said that the cultures hadn't come back yet, but she was not concerned about him, or at least any more than normal. So I got to go to bed reassured, if nothing else. I was holding out complete judgment until I talked to his doctor this morning.
Which I did a little while ago! She said that based on his test results so far, everything seemed normal. She is going to leave him on antibiotics for another 24 hours because if something were going to show up in his cultures, they would within 48 hours. She explained that it could have been from him being extubated. When the lungs are used to being pushed open and closed via the ventilator, they can collapse when put back on CPAP. If that is the case, he would have been working really hard to breathe and still not getting a lot of oxygen for his efforts. Anyway, the SIPAP seems to have helped him a lot, as he was in the 60's when we were there last night and she said he has been in the 30's all day so far.
So, while she is going to keep a watchful eye on our little munchkin, he seems to have recovered from whatever ailed him yesterday. Renae and I will be going up to see him in a little while. You know, a mom has to make sure with her own eyes before she is completely reassured! Hopefully he is back to his normal, wiggly self. After all, isn't that what Sundays are for? Having a lazy day?!?! We'll just be sure not to tell him when next Sunday comes around then!
Pages
Nearly half a million babies (1 in 10) are born premature in the US each year which is higher than that of most other developed nations. This is the journeys of our first born son, Finnegan, who was born 14 weeks early and weighed only 1 pound 15 ounces at birth. Of our daugher, Korrigan, who was born a healthy 7 pounds, 7 ounces at 37 weeks. And of our second son, MacKeegan, who was also born at 37 weeks at a whopping 8 pounds, 13 ounces. Our continued adventures reminds us daily how good God is.



4 comments:
yay! I hope he stays wiggly for you!!
Good boy!!! Keep up the good work, Finn - don't let those nurses walk all over you. Stand up for yourself!
all of his hard work deserves a nap/day off. Furthermore, most of the Thomas clan loves their sleep. I am so grateful to hear the news. Will keep the prayers going. Love to you all
DeAnn
Oh good! He is just a little lazy on Sundays...Me too little Finn, its ok! Just try to not scare mom and dad too much! :)
Love you guys!
Post a Comment