Counters

                                                           Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Nearly half a million babies (1 in 10) are born premature in the US each year which is higher than that of most other developed nations. This is the journeys of our first born son, Finnegan, who was born 14 weeks early and weighed only 1 pound 15 ounces at birth. Of our daugher, Korrigan, who was born a healthy 7 pounds, 7 ounces at 37 weeks. And of our second son, MacKeegan, who was also born at 37 weeks at a whopping 8 pounds, 13 ounces. Our continued adventures reminds us daily how good God is.

Wednesday, July 19

ER trip

So, we had to take Korri to the ER yesterday. All five of us were out shopping and we just needed a few last groceries at Byerly's. The kids were getting on our last nerve. Jim needed to buy meat, so I took them with me to get some baking stuff. I mean, I just needed some freaking PUDDING!

They were running back and forth, which didn't particularly bother me because we were the only ones in the aisle, but they were being very loud. I told them several times to stop and quiet down but I was focused on getting the right kind of pudding for Mac's birthday cake (important stuff, I know!).

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Korri trip and hit the shelf behind me. I turned around (probably to say something like "see, I told you!) and as I was turning back, I saw blood spurting all over. Like it took me a second to realize what was happening. She'd split her freaking forehead open from the brunt force of the impact on the shelf!!

I know this sounds silly but I'd just watched a reality TV show where this same thing just happened to one of the moms and her kid on there and she handled it very calmly (and because of that I knew head wounds bleed a lot, even if they aren't really bad). Having watched that helped me SO much.

I dropped down to where she was and clamped my hand over her cut. I looked at Finn in the eye (so he'd know this is serious) and told him to go get daddy right now and tell him Korri was hurt. A man walked over to see if we needed help, which I thought was very kind because if Jim hadn't been there, I would have needed help. Jim came over (beyond pissed) but grabbed some napkins from the deli so I could put them over the cut.

I then called our clinic (which happens to have an office just down the road) but they said they don't do stitches on the face and to take her directly to West Health ER. Great. So I walked with Korri out to the van while Jim took care of stuff instead (the store manager gave him her card in case we needed anything) and we went to the ER.


This pic was after they cleaned it up and it stopped bleeding (she had blood all over, like even on her flip flops!). The staff was AWESOME at West Health! Like, so good. They honestly turned a horrible situation into one that at the very least won't cause lasting damage to Korri's psyche and her scar should be minimal. Once they put numbing gel on it, she was able to calm down. They had a child therapist come in and talk to her and explain what was going to happen and give her some Disney princesses to play with and sheets to color (did they have Korri pegged or what?!?!). The therapist was AMAZING!!


After prepping her for stitches, the doctor came in, looked at the cut and decided glue was the way to go, which I think was easier for her.


It honestly looks like a very clean cut and should heal very nicely. They said the #1 thing for healing scars is sunscreen for the next twelve months! Yikes. I think I'll get some scar cream, too, since it is on her face. Hopefully it just blends in with her smile wrinkles!!

All's well that ends well. I felt like the worse mom in the world and had to keep myself in check not to burst into tears. I second guessed myself the whole time and kept thinking I should have been watching them closer but in the end, it was an honest accident. There was some talk about whether or not Finn tripped her, but it doesn't matter. Even if he did, he did not want this to happen.

So, the Thomas family has now had our first trip to the ER. And I hope our last ;)

No comments: