Counters

                                                           Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Nearly half a million babies (1 in 10) are born premature in the US each year which is higher than that of most other developed nations. This is the journeys of our first born son, Finnegan, who was born 14 weeks early and weighed only 1 pound 15 ounces at birth. Of our daugher, Korrigan, who was born a healthy 7 pounds, 7 ounces at 37 weeks. And of our second son, MacKeegan, who was also born at 37 weeks at a whopping 8 pounds, 13 ounces. Our continued adventures reminds us daily how good God is.

Wednesday, February 8

Six and sassy

Korri had her 6 year well child appointment this afternoon. Finn was supposed to have his 8 year at the same time, but he woke up puking, so I rescheduled his. Plus, I think Korri really liked the individual attention. She talked and talked and talked to her doctor and me. So funny.

Anyway, here are her stats:

Height: 47.5" 87% (last year: 44.75" 91%...thats THREE inches in one year!!!)
Weight: 60.2 lbs 95% (last year: 51 lbs 95%)

She is a big kid! Her BMI is high, as you can expect, but the dr is not at all concerned (I should put that in bold and caps to remind myself!) because she remains on her curve and is a healthy kid.

We talked about Korri still sucking her thumb. The doctor gave her/me some tips and basically just reminded me that it isn't something to shame her about (which I don't, but I do get frustrated). All the tricks don't seem to work with Korri because she can go all day at school without her thumb but at home, it is almost constant. Again, frustrating, but not a huge concern, other than with her teeth and more exposure to germs. She is the poster child for why you should have your baby use a pacifier!!

We also talked about Korri "picking" her finger nails. I haven't clipped her nails in at least two years because they are always too short. The doctor isn't concerned because she isn't ripping at her skin or causing any cuts or fissures or making them get too short (like into the nail bed). I was concerned it was a nervous or anxious thing, which it might be, but it is probably a "healthy" outlet for it at this point. Something to monitor but not worry about.

Then I mentioned that Korri developed motion sickness on our road trip this last summer. She said just to keep Dramamine on hand and gave Korri some tips for when she starts to feel yucky (looking up and out of the window instead of down in her lap and getting cooler by taking off her coat or opening a window a little). It only happens on long trips, over 45 minutes or so, which we don't do a ton).

I offhandedly mentioned that Korri's behavior has been pretty bad lately and the doctor assured me that as long as Korri can keep it together at school (which she does), it is super normal! I know, I know. I just wish there were a magic pill for her to take (or me...maybe a Xanax?).

Her hearing and vision were fine but the tech did mention her left eye was significantly harder for her to see with than her right, although still within normal range. I better check to see when she next eye doctor visit should be...I think in June.

That was it! Korri is ridiculously healthy, which the doctor commented on several times. In the last year, Korri's been into the office for one strep test. THAT IS IT! Awesome. We must be doing something right (which makes me feel better since I'm not obsessed about germs like so many are these days).

My silly sassy six year old doing snow angels in the entryway before school this morning:


No comments: