Counters

                                                           Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Nearly half a million babies (1 in 10) are born premature in the US each year which is higher than that of most other developed nations. This is the journeys of our first born son, Finnegan, who was born 14 weeks early and weighed only 1 pound 15 ounces at birth. Of our daugher, Korrigan, who was born a healthy 7 pounds, 7 ounces at 37 weeks. And of our second son, MacKeegan, who was also born at 37 weeks at a whopping 8 pounds, 13 ounces. Our continued adventures reminds us daily how good God is.

Tuesday, November 1

Bat Family

It all started, as most things do for us, with a trip to Costco. They had the cutest Batman costume and Mac loved it. Trying to be a good parent who demonstrates some self-restraint, I didn't get it. But I kept thinking about it and how if Finn's old Spiderman costume still fit him, that would be super cute together. It was still there the next time we went, so I got it. SO CUTE!


Then Finn said he couldn't find his Spiderman costume (I don't think he LOOKED for it either!) and that he really wanted to be Batman like Mac. Costco happened to have two versions of the costume (one old-school from the TV show and one from the new Batman vs. Superman movie). It didn't take much to twist my arm, so I got it on my next trip there (these trips started in early Sept, I think!). While there, I got Korri a Supergirl costume to go with the boys. Then I got home and while she was gracious about getting a new costume, she also asked why SHE couldn't be Batman, too?!?! Good point. So I exchanged Supergirl for Batgirl on yet another trip there and the rest is history.


Well, sort of. I like to wear some kind of costume when I take the kids around, usually a witches hat, or angel halo or something like that. But I thought, why not go for the Batman theme, too? I ordered a Batman sweatshirt (duh, I'll use it plenty more than just Halloween) and a mask/cape set from Amazon for fairly cheap! So fun. Then Korri asked Jim if he would be Joker. You don't have to ask him twice. We looked at costume stores and he looked online and decided he liked the Riddler costume better. So NOW the rest is history. Here is our Bat-family:

 

You never know what you're going to get when it comes to the weather on Oct 31 in Minnesota. I'm always thankful when we don't have snow to deal with, which we didn't this year. And while the temperature wasn't very cold (in the 50's), it was very windy and damp as it sprinkled most of the day but held off for most of Trick-Or-Treating, thankfully. I brought the stroller, since this would be the first year that Mac would actually be going up to the houses (last year he was happy to just sit in the stroller and watch all the kids).

 

He did great! He kept getting back in the stroller after each house, which got a little cumbersome. Korri was an amazing big sister and helped him up and down the stairs and held his hand between houses, after I convinced him to walk between houses, which took much less time). I was really impressed with her helping so much.

I love that my kids are ready to be done after 30 minutes. They get a few pieces of candy and are ready to go home and sort it and help daddy hand out candy. Perfect. This year, we told them they could each pick out 10 pieces of candy and the rest was going to school. Their school has a program where money is donated to a food shelf based on how much candy the kids bring in and then the candy is donated for care packages for soldiers! I love that. What impressed me most? Two things. 1. they didn't even squawk about not getting to keep/eat all of their candy. 2. They had a problem with picking 10 pieces, not because they wanted more but because they picked out a few favorites and then had to figured out what other pieces they actually wanted! Also, they each ate ONE piece of candy before bed and didn't even ASK for more. Gotta love 'em. Oh, you'll be shocked to know that every piece Finn saved...was chocolate!!! Ha, ha. Of course it was.


Needless to say, Halloween is a special holiday for us. I love how much my kids love it and how much time we spend together leading up to it and on that day. I can't wait to hear them tell their memories of Halloween's past when they are older. Also, Jim does such an AMAZING job decorating that it just feels super special. Trick-Or-Treaters were taking their pictures in our front yard/cemetery!




Now, to start thinking about what costumes they will let me dress them up in for next year. Any suggestions?

No comments: