Counters

                                                           Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Nearly half a million babies (1 in 10) are born premature in the US each year which is higher than that of most other developed nations. This is the journeys of our first born son, Finnegan, who was born 14 weeks early and weighed only 1 pound 15 ounces at birth. Of our daugher, Korrigan, who was born a healthy 7 pounds, 7 ounces at 37 weeks. And of our second son, MacKeegan, who was also born at 37 weeks at a whopping 8 pounds, 13 ounces. Our continued adventures reminds us daily how good God is.

Thursday, October 6

We need to do better

Living in a world were needing to write a post like this BREAKS MY HEART! We really need to do better as a society and community. It starts at home, so that is my renewed commitment: to raise kind children who look out for and help others. Reference: Korri is FIVE YEARS OLD.

Completely out of the blue, I received a text after school on Tues from the mom of one of Korri's classmates and best friend. It said, "Has Korri been having any problems with {insert boy's name} at school or on the bus?" I looked at Korri and asked her. Without hesitation, she said, "no." I told that to the mom and she said, "He terrorizes {her daughter} non stop and said he was going to kill her today on the bus. {Her daughter} said he is mean to Korri, too."

Wait, what? I was shocked and had no idea how to proceed. Keeping in mind, Korri had come home from school today crying. She told me it was because two girls at recess kept running away from her and wouldn't play with her. While I think that did happen (it has been on going for a while, once I heard about it and made Korri STOP doing it to other girls), now I was wondering if Korri was involved in the stuff with this boy, since she was crying when she got home.

So I asked the mom several questions and then I questioned Korri harder about it without leading her answers. And lo and behold, she told me (again, without me saying anything that the mom had told me) that the boy did say he was going to kill both of the girls.

I immediately called and left messages for Korri's teacher (all three children involved are in her class) and the bus garage (at 4:15pm). I told them a quick recap of what I heard and that I didn't know what to do or how to proceed. The bus garage called me back within 10 minutes! I was very impressed. He explained that it isn't their jurisdiction (they just drive the bus) but that he'd call the elementary principal first thing in the morning and also talk to the driver of Korri's afternoon bus. Perfect. He was so kind and made me feel like somebody was doing something.

While I waited to hear back from Korri's teacher, I got more information from the mom and Korri. And he'd "kicked" her in the head that day at school, enough that she had to go to the nurse's office to get an ice pack with NO NOTE HOME ABOUT IT!! What? I mean, I don't need to know about every scrape, bruise or push, but come on! And the mom said he'd threatened to break their wrists one day! Oh, and this has been going on since the beginning of school (over a  MONTH!).

The mom had already talked to their teacher and she felt the teacher was very dismissive and said she hadn't seen anything nor had the girls said anything to her. I asked Korri why she hadn't said anything to her teacher or to me and she said because he was mean. Great. So now when something happens to her and she's scared, she isn't going to say anything. I took the opportunity to reassure her that she can tell me anything anytime. And to remind her about good touch and bad touch (I mean, honestly!). This whole situation rocked me to my core.

I didn't hear back from Korri's teacher that night, but I figured she'd already gone home and fully expected a phone call (or at least some acknowledgement) first thing in the morning. Nope. When we got home from story time at 11am and I still hadn't heard anything from the teacher, I was PISSED and called the principal directly. And then I still didn't hear anything back by the time the kids got home from school twenty-four hours later! I mean, this is a DEATH THREAT! So Jim went up to the school and Korri's teacher was there (the principal was not) and he had a conversation with her. Similar to how the other girls' mom felt, he felt the teacher was somewhat dismissive and basically said she didn't respond to me because she'd forward the information to the principal. How hard is it to tell me that?!?!

Fast forward to 7:15 that night. I received a phone call from the principal. She'd been in a conference all day and unreachable (again, why wasn't I told that when I called the school secretary?!?!) and she apologized for the late phone call. Um, no, I thanked her for the call, regardless of the time. We talked about half an hour and I felt MUCH better after. She had a plan and was going to alter her schedule the next morning so she could talk with all the children involved.

Then she called me back first thing the next morning after having talked with all of them! Seriously, she is amazing. I am very comfortable with the actions she has taken, the actions she said will happen and the plan going forward.

But again, Korri is five years old. I am so sad that she has to deal with this and that we live in a world where this happens. I mean, I remember worrying about who I was behind in line on the way to lunch when I was in Kindergarten! Or how long I was going to sleep at rest time. I just am trying to trust that God will protest her and I will also try to ask more specific questions when she gets home each night. Oh, and I told Finn he has to watch out for her, which he didn't think was his job! Ha, you're her older brother, sorry buddy but it IS your job and we help each other in our family!

A reminder in case you forgot how cute, sweet and innocent she is:

No comments: