Counters

                                                           Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Nearly half a million babies (1 in 10) are born premature in the US each year which is higher than that of most other developed nations. This is the journeys of our first born son, Finnegan, who was born 14 weeks early and weighed only 1 pound 15 ounces at birth. Of our daugher, Korrigan, who was born a healthy 7 pounds, 7 ounces at 37 weeks. And of our second son, MacKeegan, who was also born at 37 weeks at a whopping 8 pounds, 13 ounces. Our continued adventures reminds us daily how good God is.

Monday, October 31

Hijacked Sunday

Sunday didn't exactly turn out like an ordinary Sunday. First, I woke up with a migraine, which isn't super unusual but definitely alters my plans for the next several hours. Second, when I got Mac up, he was barking when he coughed. Crap, this is how it started last fall when we ended up taking an ambulance ride to the hospital and was eventually diagnosed with Croup. Third, Jim was prepping for a colonoscopy which meant he was pretty tied to our "bedroom."

After listening to Mac for about thirty minutes, I just looked at Jim and said I'm taking him to Urgent Care. I remembered how quickly it progressed last time and while I'd rather wait until Monday and take him to our clinic, I also didn't want to spend the night in the ER. Thankfully a clinic in Buffalo has Sunday hours, so Mac and I headed there. Keep in mind...other than barking, he seemed 100% fine. He was flirting and entertaining everybody from the receptionist to the nurses and other patients!

They listened to his history (he'd never been to this clinic before, so they didn't know it) and based on what I told them and how he sounded, the PA decided to give him a steroid shot for Croup, which helps reduce swelling in the throat area. Great. Oh, and he had a "severe" ear infection in his left ear. Super great! She said new research is showing that most ear infections are actually viral and they are trying to get away from prescribing antibiotics for them, but given his history with ear infections, we both agreed to give him one! I didn't want it to escalate, even though it would not help with the Croup at all.

So Mac and I got back home around 1ish. My migraine at this point had diminished (THANKFULLY!) to just a regular headache, which makes being able to "mom" much easier. Jim still had his "issues" the rest of the day, which left him not able to help much in any other area. I was able to go to a meeting at church and that was about it.

Today, Mac's fever is up but his cough sounds much better. Croup takes a while to run its course, but I hope it is swift and doesn't get worse before it gets better. His temp was 102.7 degrees when I put him to bed tonight, which I don't like at all. Argh. No Reagan nor ECFE for tomorrow. Could be so much worse, though. Again, so thankful I brought him in when I did.

Mac waiting at patiently at Urgent Care Sunday morning. Always my happy boy, even when sick. Poor guy.

No comments: