Counters

                                                           Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Nearly half a million babies (1 in 10) are born premature in the US each year which is higher than that of most other developed nations. This is the journeys of our first born son, Finnegan, who was born 14 weeks early and weighed only 1 pound 15 ounces at birth. Of our daugher, Korrigan, who was born a healthy 7 pounds, 7 ounces at 37 weeks. And of our second son, MacKeegan, who was also born at 37 weeks at a whopping 8 pounds, 13 ounces. Our continued adventures reminds us daily how good God is.

Monday, July 18

Two year check

Mac and I went to his two year well child appointment this morning. It went amazingly well (gotta love that!). The doctor walked in and said, "just the two of you?" I know, it is usually a circus (I had all three by myself in January and they each had an appointment!). The Bigs stayed home with daddy this time.

The quick and dirty:

Height: 34" - 49% (43% at 18 mo)
Weight: 33.2 lbs - 94% (90% at 18 mo)
Head: 51.75" - 99.5% (99.7% at 18 mo)

So he's getting bigger all over! Ha. Except his head went down .2% (hey, I'll take it!). I was happy to see his height percentile go up a bit and was a little surprised his weight did, only because he seems to be thinning out a bit. But if he's growing taller, it makes sense that he'd be getting a little heavier, too. I looked online and a two year old male in the 50% weighs 27.5 lbs (a 3 year old in the 50% weighs 31 lbs!!). I just wanted to check. The dreaded BMI conversation came up and she said she is super happy with his growth and his percentiles (I just had to double check!).

She checked his hernia and said it looks like it is getting better but if not corrected by 3, the surgery to correct it would very minor (one stitch). So, we'll see at his next well child!

I asked her to check his two year molars and they are all through the surface. Hooray! However, they could still cause some discomfort as they continue to come in.

I brought up that he seems to be allergic to ketchup and told her the story about the first time it happened when we were with my sister, Becky (Becky said Ben has a similar reaction to ranch dip). The Dr. said that this is a very normal reaction to ketchup and ranch (how random?!?!) in kids and to NOT worry about it. It isn't life threatening and won't escalate to not breathing or anything like that. She said to have him stop eating it and wipe it off his face when it happens and it should go away. Perfect.

Not much else. I mean, I wish all well child appts and dr appts were this easy. Maybe we should have another baby to keep the dr busy...okay, maybe not! With the exception of flu vaccines, he doesn't need to go back until he turns 3! It seems so far away. We'll see her in the winter for the Bigs well childs, though, so not complete withdrawl!

Mac got a cookie from McDonald's after for being such a good boy at the appointment (okay, really, mommy  just needed some caffeine but it was a good excuse!). And it must have been exhausting for him because he CRASHED during the less than 15 minute drive home (including cookie eating time!).

Development milestones most children can do by his 2nd birthday (and my commentary on where Mac currently fits in).

Social and Emotional

  • Copies others, especially adults and older children yes
  • Gets excited when with other children yes
  • Shows more and more independence yes, but he still has moments when he wants mommy or wants help
  • Shows defiant behavior (doing what he has been told not to) yes!
  • Plays mainly beside other children, but is beginning to include other children, such as in chase games yes, he plays chase with the  Bigs, he likes to do what they are doing


Language/Communication

  • Points to things or pictures when they are named yes
  • Knows names of familiar people and body parts yes, he knows almost every body part I can think of to point to!
  • Says sentences with 2 to 4 words yes, I don't think I've noticed 4 word sentences but for sure 3 
  • Follows simple instructions yes, when he wants to
  • Repeats words overheard in conversation yes, like 'uploading' yesterday while we were trying to figure out his new puppy!
  • Points to things in a book yes


Cognitive (learning, thinking, problem-solving)

  • Finds things even when hidden under two or three covers yes, I think so, he's pretty determined when he wants to be
  • Begins to sort shapes and colors hmmm...he knows colors but I don't know if he SORTS them...
  • Completes sentences and rhymes in familiar books yes
  • Plays simple make-believe games yes, his favorite is to feed you pretend food...shocker!
  • Builds towers of 4 or more blocks yes, with his Duplos
  • Might use one hand more than the other hmmm, I think right but haven't paid much attention
  • Follows two-step instructions such as “Pick up your shoes and put them in the closet.” yes
  • Names items in a picture book such as a cat, bird, or dog yes


Movement/Physical Development

  • Stands on tiptoe yes
  • Kicks a ball yes
  • Begins to run yes, he's been running for a while
  • Climbs onto and down from furniture without help yes, Reagan helped him figure this out when I watched her! 
  • Walks up and down stairs holding on yes, he can but I prefer him to go on his tummy still
  • Throws ball overhand yes
  • Makes or copies straight lines and circles yes, he can MAKE them, I'm not sure if he would copy me, if I made them first.
Overall, he is really doing great. He calls Finn "Guys" or just started calling him "Finny" the other day, which is adorable. He says a "t" sound for "k" so he calls Korri, "Toto" for his version of "Koko." It was "Tutu" for a while. Jim likes to point out what he calls kitties...say it in your head!

He LOVES reading books. I mean, LOVES. Like, enough is enough already! (but I really am glad he does). And he sits still for the whole thing. He has many "favorite" books but I'd say his top are Llama Llama Red Pajamma, Thomas the Tank Engine Shooting Star and any Sandra Boynton book are his go to books. 

He loves to sing and has recently started to sing along when I sing to him, which I LOVE. Jesus Loves Me, Bye-O (a song my family sings) and recently Take Me Out to the Ball Game are his favorite songs.

He knows almost all of his colors, but won't necessarily repeat them when asked. He doesn't know pink, white or black, I think. Yellow is his all-time favorite. He loves to color. He also loves to get his nails painted (because it is like coloring!).

He goes to bed really well, even though he says, "no nigh-night!" emphatically until he is settled in his bed. It is hard to judge "usual" times in the summer, but I'd say he normally sleeps about 12 hours at night (maybe 11?) and takes one 1.5 hr nap each day. The time on that depends on his mood and what we have going on. His first words every morning are, "eat eat?" Meaning, I'm ready for breakfast! He still sleeps in his crib and I hope he does for at least another year or until he is potty trained and has to get up to go potty.

He shows a lot of interest in potty training and goes in the potty chair often, but not regularly. I'm not pushing it because I know boys usually train later, I don't want the hassle of potty training for the next year and a half and Finn trained right before he was 3.5, I think, so I'm using that as my litmus test. It will happen when it happens.

He LOVES puppies. Since we don't have one, he is a little cautious around them, which is good, but he gets so excited whenever he sees one. He loves balls and any sports. Right now, his favorite is baseball, but I think that is because of Finn and Korri's summer rec schedule. He says "hutball" for football, "hoops" for basketball and "baaaaay-s ball" for baseball. He just got a set of golf clubs (thank you Auntie!) so I think that will quickly be on his favorite list as well. He recently started liking robots and does a "robot dance" that is hilarious. He likes cars and trucks and calls them "uh-uhs" and "tuts" respectively.

He's a good eater, obviously, but is also opinionated about what he'll eat when. He loves carrots and gravy. Okay, he loves gravy the most. Although he might like fresh fruit even more. I have to be careful he doesn't eat too much or I pay for it with his diapers the next day! He asks for "na-ney" (candy) almost all day, which is annoying. He also loves "toe-teys" which is cookies.

His laugh is contagious. He loves playing with the Bigs. He loves to be outside. It is even better if we are at the park and he's swinging (my other two didn't like to swing). He LOVES to swim (I really need to sign him up for lessons!). Even though he is still rear facing, he does really well in the car, as long as it is less than 3 hours (we found that out the hard way on our road trip!).

Mac completes our family in a way I never knew we needed. He is so much "easier" than he was a year ago. He usually goes with the flow. He can do what we do, even if we may need to modify things a little. He is easy to love. I can't believe he is two. It goes fast. Love you so much, Baby. Some day we won't call you that any more, but I'll be a little sad when that day does come. 

No comments: