Counters

                                                           Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Nearly half a million babies (1 in 10) are born premature in the US each year which is higher than that of most other developed nations. This is the journeys of our first born son, Finnegan, who was born 14 weeks early and weighed only 1 pound 15 ounces at birth. Of our daugher, Korrigan, who was born a healthy 7 pounds, 7 ounces at 37 weeks. And of our second son, MacKeegan, who was also born at 37 weeks at a whopping 8 pounds, 13 ounces. Our continued adventures reminds us daily how good God is.

Monday, June 13

Summer Chores Update

I have to say, I was skeptical at best when I implemented the chore chart. I personally liked the structure it provided but I thought it would be an all day argument with the kids to do the things ON the chart; followed by lots of whining about not getting to use their tablets.

I was wr...wr...wrong! It has been GREAT! Now, keep in mind that Finn was gone Thurs and Fri so I don't actually have a full week of results. But even given that, the kids LOVE to check off each item and see what else they have left. Oh, and point out when they have fewer left than the other one! Sibling rivalry at its best. And tablet usage has been almost non-existent! Not because they don't have their list done, but I think because they are busy doing these things.

I still get some negative feedback but this list allows me not to engage. Example:

F: I don't WANT to read!
M: You don't have to. You don't get your tablet until you do, but you don't have to. It's your choice.

End of conversation. I like making the "list" the bad guy and not me for once!!

I would prefer this list to be printed on a white board to avoid having to print it off every night. But one advantage of printing it off is that I can change it when needed. One day I needed pop cans crushed, so I changed the dishes line to that and it got done! Today I need to put "sort and put away laundry!" in a major way, but if I change that tonight, it will be on the list for tomorrow! And I added pictures next to each line. Since Korri can't read yet, she was having a hard time figuring out what each one meant. She helped me pick the pictures and now she knows each check item. Easy peasy.


I really do like this system. I'm sure eventually the novelty of checking their list will wear off and their attitudes toward it will take a turn for the worst but now, it is AMAZING! I highly recommend. Even if you aren't at home all day with your kiddos, you could do something like this for when you do get home (but probably a shorter version).

Here's hoping this continues to work! Happy Summer, everyone:


No comments: