Counters

                                                           Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Nearly half a million babies (1 in 10) are born premature in the US each year which is higher than that of most other developed nations. This is the journeys of our first born son, Finnegan, who was born 14 weeks early and weighed only 1 pound 15 ounces at birth. Of our daugher, Korrigan, who was born a healthy 7 pounds, 7 ounces at 37 weeks. And of our second son, MacKeegan, who was also born at 37 weeks at a whopping 8 pounds, 13 ounces. Our continued adventures reminds us daily how good God is.

Thursday, June 9

No more Nukie

Get your head out of the gutter, I wrote nukie not nookie!

Mac is pacifier free! And he did it all by himself. We kind of accidentally started on Sunday because after an impromptu trip to see (among others!) Great Grandpa Smith, his schedule was WAY off and he was just fit to be tied. And he didn't want his nukie. Okay, it was a fluke. He screamed for over an hour and a half but no prompting on my part could get him to take it.

Over the next couple of days, I'd offer it and he would put it on the table next to the rocking chair or he'd take it in his crib but just hold it or put it next to him. After a full day of being on his "normal" schedule and no nukie, I let myself hope/think that this could be really happening.

I was DREADING taking away the nukie. I've heard horror stories about it; having to "mail" them to the pacifier fairy or cutting them until they were a nubin (which never seemed safe to me) or slowly losing them until they were all gone or the Three Day Plan (which sounded an awful lot like the HORRIBLE sleep training we did). None of which I was looking forward to. I've said it before, so I'll say it again...I'm the kind of parent who believes if it ain't broke, why fix it?!?! He went to bed without a fuss. He slept well. Why take the pacifier away? Well, because I wasn't looking forward to the conversation with his doctor at his two year well child appointment (coming up next month. Tear.).

But, as most parental worries are, it was all for naught.

Yet again Mac is proving that he is my easiest since he is nuk/thumb-free before two and my other two (7 and 5!) still suck their thumbs (one just while sleeping and one about 50% of her day!). Maybe they should take a lesson from their baby brother!!!

Here's hoping potty training goes as smoothly (he still shows interest and has gone on the potty chair two days in a row...we'll see; eventually).

Just in case you thought he was perfect, this was him today at the store. I think the Terrible Twos are knocking...loudly! I wonder if I can hide and pretend I'm not home...

 

No comments: