Counters

                                                           Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Nearly half a million babies (1 in 10) are born premature in the US each year which is higher than that of most other developed nations. This is the journeys of our first born son, Finnegan, who was born 14 weeks early and weighed only 1 pound 15 ounces at birth. Of our daugher, Korrigan, who was born a healthy 7 pounds, 7 ounces at 37 weeks. And of our second son, MacKeegan, who was also born at 37 weeks at a whopping 8 pounds, 13 ounces. Our continued adventures reminds us daily how good God is.

Friday, June 24

Barnyard Roundup

Last summer our church started a Vacation Bible School program. I signed Finn up, having wonderful memories of VBS from when I was a kid. Shocker, he LOVED it but was sad that I didn't stay and help "like all the other moms!" LOL So I told him I'd volunteer this year...and he didn't let me forget my promise.

So, knowing the new rules imposed on the Catholic church, I knew I had to go through Virtus training, training to help identify at risk children and to help prevent/report sexual abuse, in order to volunteer with children in the church. I normally procrastinate but God gave me motivation to actually sign up for and complete it this spring...early even! And I think because I did it early, the VBS Core Committee called and asked if I'd join their group and be a teacher at VBS this summer!

Um, me? A teacher? I thought I would just stay every night and walk around with the kids or help with snack or something. But, putting my trust in God, I told her I'd do whatever they needed me to do.


Fast forward to this past week. The theme this year was Barnyard Roundup: Jesus Gathers Us Together, which is so appropriate for this small, rural community. Oh, and Korri was old enough to go this year, so the three of us headed there very night Sunday through Thursday from 6-8pm (I always had it in the mornings when I was a kid, which I like better!). The first year they had 37 participants. This year they had 54! And that is nearly half of all the kids in the parish! I love to see the youth getting so involved.

I ended up being the craft teacher (much easier for me than teaching a lesson). There was a learning curve and my patience was tested quite a bit...but Finn and Korri had a blast and I heard from a lot of kids that they loved the crafts! Success! They made sand art, necklaces, sun catchers and kites (no craft the last night because of the program).

Anyway, it was a lot of work and WAY more tiring than I thought it would be. But, way more rewarding, too. I don't know what role I will have next year (the lady I stepped in for had a baby the week before VBS so she might want to do crafts next year) but whatever it is, I'll do it with a happy heart and actually look forward to it. Here's to letting go and letting God!

Those darn cute songs are permanently stuck in my head!






No comments: