Counters

                                                           Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Nearly half a million babies (1 in 10) are born premature in the US each year which is higher than that of most other developed nations. This is the journeys of our first born son, Finnegan, who was born 14 weeks early and weighed only 1 pound 15 ounces at birth. Of our daugher, Korrigan, who was born a healthy 7 pounds, 7 ounces at 37 weeks. And of our second son, MacKeegan, who was also born at 37 weeks at a whopping 8 pounds, 13 ounces. Our continued adventures reminds us daily how good God is.

Wednesday, March 9

New shoe day!

I don't know about you, but there is little better than a new sock day. Right, Renae? I mean, they are so soft and cushy and perfectly white. LOVE new sock day (I may even have a dance dedicated to the event). But I learned today there is something better than new sock day! What can that be, you ask? New SHOE day! Let me explain.

I've had the same running shoes since before Finn was born...I think eight or nine years. Yea, people YEARS! To say they were on their last "leg" was an understatement. I mean, the seams were ripped, there were remnants of Pop-Tarts inside of them that I couldn't get out (thanks, Korri!), the treads were worn out and when I wore them, my legs ACHED. I emailed my friend Amanda, who is a runner, TWO YEARS ago to get advice on where to go to get new shoes. Of course, I waited until they were literally falling apart to actually figure out a solution.

I didn't just want to go to a department store and pick out a new pair. As you may remember, I've had fairly significant knee problems for the last three or so years and I have short, wide feet with a high arch. I really wanted somebody to find the "right" shoe for me.

So upon Amanda's recommendation, I called TC Running in Maple Grove and got all my questions answered. They do a gait analysis right on the spot and based on that, recommend shoes that fit your foot and your situation. Oh, and the analysis was FREE! I preferred to go Gear West, since it is closer, but they charged $50 for the analysis. Now, if I were a serious runner or had major problems with my feet...it would be well worth it. But the fact that I have fairly "normal" fee and knew I'd be spending more than I ever had on a pair of shoes as it was...I wasn't going to add $50 to that total.

I asked Lorry to come with me. She runs a ton, I needed some moral support and at the end of the day, I still needed somebody else's opinion about the colors, right? And I kind of needed somebody to hold my hand. Anyway, we went yesterday (Korri decided to tag along) and it was the BEST experience. The guy was super helpful and really knew his stuff. I wear a 7.5 street shoe but apparently running shoes run small because I ended up needing to try on 8.5's! I think I tried on more than five but less than 10 pairs and once I tried on THE pair, every other one I tried on I just compared to them. So after talking to him about arch support (because I couldn't FEEL the support in THE ones, I didn't think they were right), I knew I'd found my pair (and Lorry found a new pair of trail shoes, too!). Score!

Anyway, I know it may not seem like a big event to most people, but I've been waiting forever and it is something I actually NEEDED. I worked out in my new shoes this morning and LOVED them. For once, my shins and calves weren't sore during or after. Jim and I are doing Insanity right now (we have about halfway done) and when I'm done with that, I think I'm going to see if I can go back to running (if my knee will hold up). We'll see.

Here's to treating yourself to what you need and getting pleasure out of the little (albeit expensive!) things in life. Now I may need to come up with a new SHOES dance, too! Oh and there were four colors to pick from in THE ones. Korri picked these for me (even though there was a pink/purple pair!):


No comments: