Counters

                                                           Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Nearly half a million babies (1 in 10) are born premature in the US each year which is higher than that of most other developed nations. This is the journeys of our first born son, Finnegan, who was born 14 weeks early and weighed only 1 pound 15 ounces at birth. Of our daugher, Korrigan, who was born a healthy 7 pounds, 7 ounces at 37 weeks. And of our second son, MacKeegan, who was also born at 37 weeks at a whopping 8 pounds, 13 ounces. Our continued adventures reminds us daily how good God is.

Monday, February 1

The Cake

We pretty much talk about what cake the kids want all year long. They change their minds about 100 times and we have fun thinking about ideas and looking at pictures. This year, Korri's ran the gamut from princess castle to Cinderella's carriage to an actual princess! So I was shocked when she decided on a Skittles cake. This was the inspiration picture she saw:

I was very happy and excited. I'd done a cascading M&M cake for my aunt last year and I knew this would lend itself perfectly to that same technique. I made confetti cake (to go with the colorful theme), bought white chocolate KitKats (because I thought she would like that better than brown) and lots of Skittles. The only thing she specified was that she didn't want a fabric ribbon but one that she could eat. Perfect. I can do that.

This is the cake I made for her:

I was very happy with how it turned out. The Skittles were harder to work with than M&M's because they are rounder but I managed. I thought the rainbow candy strips were perfect for this and I was so happy that the bow turned out (by far, the hardest part of the cake!). Korri wasn't here when I finished but I couldn't wait to show her.

Then she saw it. She was not happy and didn't like it. Then I got upset, too. I mean, seriously?!?! I couldn't figure out why she didn't like or what part of it was "wrong" in her mind. Then I showed her the original picture and she said, "Yes, I wanted the RAINBOW!" Oh, crap. I never intended to make the rainbow so I never even discussed it with her. I mean, I take creative license all the time with their cakes and they don't even notice the difference (or like it better).

So after cooling off, I realized it was an issue of miscommunication and it wasn't that she was being disrespectful or ungrateful. So, I had two round cakes left over and some extra frosting. We came up with the compromise that I would frost the cake with white frosting, put a sprinkle "5" on top and she could decorate the rest however she wanted with candy from her candy buffet but that we would use the one I made to sing to her and blow out the candles. I mean, the whole benefit of having a mom who decorates cakes is to get what you WANT for a cake.

This is what she came up with:

Super cute. Maybe she'll take after her momma after all? And I need to remember that all's well that ends well (and to be very clear next time!).

No comments: