Counters

                                                           Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Nearly half a million babies (1 in 10) are born premature in the US each year which is higher than that of most other developed nations. This is the journeys of our first born son, Finnegan, who was born 14 weeks early and weighed only 1 pound 15 ounces at birth. Of our daugher, Korrigan, who was born a healthy 7 pounds, 7 ounces at 37 weeks. And of our second son, MacKeegan, who was also born at 37 weeks at a whopping 8 pounds, 13 ounces. Our continued adventures reminds us daily how good God is.

Saturday, November 7

Walking everywhere

We had Mac's school/PT team at our house Thursday morning. I had a good conversation with his teacher because his PT was held up at school and didn't make it until the last five minutes. I told his teacher that I thought he was walking about 40% (and crawling 60%). He is so stable that he is like a Weeble (he wobbles but doesn't fall down!). When he does fall down, he then prefers to crawl. His PT said he just needs practice so she isn't coming back until January!

However, even in the last 36 hours, he is walking more and more. He just lets go of what he is holding and walks over. Or he gets up in the middle of the room and walks over to whatever he can hold onto. I would say he is walking closer to 60%, with that percentage increasing all the time! I love seeing him walking like it is no big deal. Also makes me realize my baby is growing up before my eyes.

From Videos

This is an example of him walking across the whole room! PT said to have bare feet as much as possible, or until the floor is too cold.

I also talked with his teacher about his communication. Clearly his receptive is fine (I can give him clear instructions and he usually complies...put the ball on your head; go over to your high chair, let's go upstairs, etc). She said his vocabulary should explode over the next couple months but in the meantime, to keep mimicking him, narrating everything we do (now I'm putting the milk in the pan and now I'm stirring it, etc.) but also to help him with letter sounds (saying, "ga, ga, ga" etc). No reasons for concerns right now but (as always!) something to work on.

He shows interest in using a spoon but just "pokes" the food with it. If I put food on it, he will put it in his mouth. His appetite has changed...I think it is a control thing for him: you can't make me eat that. Oh, and he "crumples" every food that he can. Frustrating for me, but I just need to re-evaluate my expectations.

Mac assists me when I change him by lifting up his foot to put his pants on and putting his arms in his arm holes of his shirt.  He can accurately point to nose, mouth and head. He understands ear (sadly, because of having to take his temp so often, I think.) I talk about his "hands, toes and feet" every time I dress him, so I wouldn't be surprised if he actually knows them as well.

He LOVES books but still doesn't have a very long attention span and likes to turn pages (and often gets frustrated by ANYTHING!). One of his favorite activities is going down the stairs (yes, by himself!), playing down there for a couple minutes and then coming back up (so yes, he can go up and down independently!). I think he thinks he is either a super big boy OR that he is doing something naughty and getting away with it! Just recently, he "discovered" cars...or more accurately, is now obsessed with them...almost as much as balls; almost.

The "stink eye" comes out often (a frown when he is frustrated or doesn't get his way!).He JUST learned in the last day or so how to "blow kisses!" It might be the cutest thing EVER! Also, if you ask him for a hug, he'll lean his head in for YOU to give him a hug...also super cute.

He only uses his pacifier for sleeping and long car rides. While I'm happy he's weaned down to "just" these times, I have mixed feelings about him having one at all. I know the earlier you take it away, the "easier" it is...but...he goes to bed SO well with it. I think Jim's convinced me to just keep things how they are for now. We'll see! Mac sleeps approximately 12 hours at night (7 to 7, give or take) and takes two naps a day, usually for about an hour and a half each. So he needs a lot of sleep and he has clear queues when he is tired and I try to listen to them for when it is nap time.

Overall, Mac is changing and growing every minute of every day. Have I mentioned lately how much I love this age? It has its frustrations (as every age does!) but it is so much fun to see him growing up and learning new things (even if it makes mommy's heart a little sad, too!).

No comments: