Counters

                                                           Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Nearly half a million babies (1 in 10) are born premature in the US each year which is higher than that of most other developed nations. This is the journeys of our first born son, Finnegan, who was born 14 weeks early and weighed only 1 pound 15 ounces at birth. Of our daugher, Korrigan, who was born a healthy 7 pounds, 7 ounces at 37 weeks. And of our second son, MacKeegan, who was also born at 37 weeks at a whopping 8 pounds, 13 ounces. Our continued adventures reminds us daily how good God is.

Friday, September 4

Mac the rock star

There are so many times in life and as a parent when things just don't seem to go right. You worry, you argue, you worry, you get frustrated, you worry, you fight, you worry, you cry, you worry, you doubt yourself...you get the picture.

But yesterday was NOT one of those days. I was loving life! It was for many reasons (wonderful time with friends, beautiful weather, starting month 2 of Insanity Max: 30, etc) but the main one was Mac. He had a PT appt and he ROCKED it! I told his PT when she met us in the lobby that she "was going to die." And she did! He is crawling up stairs (still working on coming down safely), cruising, standing independently, squatting, walking with a push toy, walking by holding two (and sometimes one!) hands! Most kids learn to walk and then learn to stand but of course, Mac has to do things his own way and as long as he's learning, who cares?!?! She was so impressed that we canceled his appt in two weeks and won't be back for a month! At which time she feels strongly that he'll be walking (or at least taking steps) and it MAY be our last appt!

I do worry about my kids a lot (probably more than I should) but I want to do right by them and if I'm not their advocate, who will be? It wasn't "normal" for Mac not to be rolling over at 9 months and I'm so glad Finn's PT strongly recommended getting intervention right away. Would Mac be where he is today without it? Hard to know. But I don't care. We did what needed to be done and he no longer has delays! If he isn't walking by January, then he will be considered delayed in gross motor again but I feel strongly that won't be the case. I feel like I can finally take a deep breath and just BREATHE!!!

In my vast experience (LOL) of parenting, I absolutely LOVE the age Mac is right now the best: between 12 and 18 months. They are learning so many new things, they don't say "no" yet, they are able to communicate enough to be understood most of the time, they are (finally!) sleeping well (my kids at least!), they can play independently for a little while and so many other reasons. The only downside, if you want to call it that, is that he is heavy. I have an issue with my left shoulder that is only made worse by having to carry him everywhere. But that will be short lived, as well, because once he starts walking, he'll probably lose his baby fat (tear) and I think he'll be GONE!

Mac working on taking steps forward at PT yesterday.

No comments: