Counters

                                                           Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Nearly half a million babies (1 in 10) are born premature in the US each year which is higher than that of most other developed nations. This is the journeys of our first born son, Finnegan, who was born 14 weeks early and weighed only 1 pound 15 ounces at birth. Of our daugher, Korrigan, who was born a healthy 7 pounds, 7 ounces at 37 weeks. And of our second son, MacKeegan, who was also born at 37 weeks at a whopping 8 pounds, 13 ounces. Our continued adventures reminds us daily how good God is.

Saturday, September 12

All done

I'm not as emotional as I thought I'd be. Maybe it will sink in tomorrow. Maybe that just means it was the right timing.

Because Mac and I had our last nursing session this morning. At almost 14 months, he is now considered weaned!

I have mixed feelings about it. Happy for many reasons and also a little sad. Sad because he's my last. I'll never nurse again. Sad that this is one more reason that he doesn't "need" me any more. Sad to miss that time with him when it was just the two of us without any distractions. He never stops for more than two seconds any other time of the day! Sad at yet another sign that my baby is growing up.

Happy, too. Happy that I was finally able to nurse one of my kids until he was one year! Happy I nursed him until I wanted him to be done and he was ready to be done. After a long bumpy road, my other two weaned themselves at 9 months, which left me feeling like I failed in some way. Happy that he can now have sleepovers and be away from me all night (NeNe, when do you want him?!?!)! Happy that I'm not the only one who can get Mac up in the mornings...hmmm...we'll see about that! Happy that Mac eats "regular" food so well that I don't have to worry about him getting enough. Just happy.

He still doesn't do well with a sippy. I mean, he CAN drink from them, he just doesn't like to be bothered. I guess that will have to change. He is supposed to get between 12-16 oz of fluid per day. With nursing, I think it was close. But now, I'll be lucky if he gets half that. But if he is thirsty, he'll drink!

Here's to my baby growing up. Here's to me sticking it out when breastfeeding wasn't easy. It was NEVER easy for me (supply issues, plugged ducts, cracked nipples...you name it!). Well, until he went down to twice a day and then once a day. I guess that was easy! Here's to the "reason" today is the last day...Jim and I go on vacation in TWO WEEKS!!! Really happy and excited for that!


UPDATE: I was okay on Sunday, emotionally and physically. But Monday was a little different. My body was showing the effects of not feeding Mac, which I think triggered an emotional response. I just wanted to feed him for relief and "just because." But I didn't. Today is Tuesday. I think it will get better each day.

No comments: