Counters

                                                           Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Nearly half a million babies (1 in 10) are born premature in the US each year which is higher than that of most other developed nations. This is the journeys of our first born son, Finnegan, who was born 14 weeks early and weighed only 1 pound 15 ounces at birth. Of our daugher, Korrigan, who was born a healthy 7 pounds, 7 ounces at 37 weeks. And of our second son, MacKeegan, who was also born at 37 weeks at a whopping 8 pounds, 13 ounces. Our continued adventures reminds us daily how good God is.

Saturday, August 15

Learning Through Play

How about an impromptu visit to the Minnesota Children's Museum with friends on a random summer Saturday when we have nothing planned and I'm unexpectedly on my own with the kids?!?! I don't mind if we do. You have to understand, I am NOT the fun parent. Jim is the one who takes the kids to the state fair or MOA or out to dinner BY HIMSELF on a moments notice. I do not. I plan things out. I do research. I emailed 100 times to find dates that work for others. I basically take the fun out of things. Okay, that might be harsh, but you get my point.

When our friend Andrea posted on FB that they were going to the Children's Museum on Saturday, I knew it would save my sanity and give the kids something to do. So we went. And had the BEST time ever. All SIX (yes, I said SIX!) kids were rock stars. We got there at 11am and didn't leave until 3:30pm. Its a long time and there was little to no whining and everybody had their listening ears on. I'm SO glad I decided to join them. And the best part is that they got a membership, so maybe we can join them again this winter when we are going stir crazy! Thanks for including us, Andrea, Isaac, Colton, Brody and Maverick!

Here are a few highlights, but I took 94 (you read that right) pictures today, so there will be more on our picture website (link to the right on the blog).



 


We could have stayed longer but we needed to eat and facing an hour drive home, I was NOT up for heading back over to play more once we'd left. I love the Children's Museum. There is so much for the kids to physically do and try. Korri must have painted 10 pictures. Finn spent about half an hour playing with gears and tubes. So. Much. Fun.

Two thoughts about the Children's Museum. 1. It really bothers me that they have NO security. Meaning, anybody can walk in, take your kid and leave. Presumably, parents are watching their child(ren), so this doesn't happen, but when you have three kids to keep track of, you often "trust" they will be in the same spot when you come back a second (or minute) later. I mean, Chuck E Cheese even has a stamp system so kids leave with whom they came. Big miss in my book. I, however, do keep an eye of my kids, but it would be nice to let them meander around a little more.

2. No food? Really? They are missing out on a GOLD mine! I mean, you have a captive audience who needs to eat at a moments notice and melts down when not fed. Seriously, just have a small cafe or something! Sandwiches. Lunchables. Apples. ANYTHING! They would rake in the bucks. I don't get it. We would have eaten there just because it would have been more convenient than leaving and going across the street to Subway (I'm sure Subway doesn't mind that they don't offer food!). I really don't mind because I like Subway, but that isn't the point.

Also, on the "way" back to the car, we made a detour to Candyland! Ever been? It is one block south(?) of the museum. You are missing out. Finn literally fell over when he saw the chocolate counter. Korri pretty much wanted everything. They were told before we went they could pick out ONE treat to have when we got home. And they did with no fussing or anything. I was really impressed. Korri picked a pink lollipop (which she dropped three times on the way to the van!) and Finn picked a bag of...wait for it...caramel popcorn drizzled with chocolate! Yum!

What a super fun day. We wish daddy could have joined us but I had fun sending him play-by-play pictures of the funny/fun things the kiddos were doing.

No comments: