Counters

                                                           Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Nearly half a million babies (1 in 10) are born premature in the US each year which is higher than that of most other developed nations. This is the journeys of our first born son, Finnegan, who was born 14 weeks early and weighed only 1 pound 15 ounces at birth. Of our daugher, Korrigan, who was born a healthy 7 pounds, 7 ounces at 37 weeks. And of our second son, MacKeegan, who was also born at 37 weeks at a whopping 8 pounds, 13 ounces. Our continued adventures reminds us daily how good God is.

Wednesday, July 8

Updates: NHA, PT, gate

Our family life is so different than it was before our Nurtured Heart Approach class. It is still exhausting but there is very little yelling any more (and none some days). It is hard for me because if Finn were our only child, we would NOT need this approach for him. He is "easy" (as "easy" as parenting ever is!) to parent 90% of the time. But Korri is another story. She constantly pushes buttons, tests limits and talks back. Okay, constantly is an exaggeration, but it feels that way.

When we first started using this approach, we found that we were able to point out the good things Finn was doing and then Korri would jump inline to get praise, too. Sweet. This is going to be easy. Well, of course it couldn't be that easy. They mentioned in class that it often takes intense children about a month before they fully embrace this new way of interacting and that it usually gets worse before it gets better. And man, has it ever!

After fully embracing it for the first week and a half or so, over the last several days (week maybe?), Korri's behavior has gotten worse. That being said, she still recovers quicker than she did before we started this new journey, so that is something. I'm also using a little tip my friend Sharon told me and that is having a "do over." I use this most when she speaks rudely or disrespectfully to me and I ask her to "try it again." That's all I have to say and she does and she completely changes her attitude. Awesome! It's the little things in life.

So, this is a journey and we are hoping a long one at that. We don't really have bad days any more, just bad moments, which is such a blessing. I find that we are all happier and less frustrated. I really hope it continues to work and we continue to do it! They talked about having a refresher course this fall or winter, if so, sign us up!

Mac's PT update: Mac is ROCKING PT. The last couple weeks he's made huge strides. Today, he worked on cruising, walking behind a push toy and crawling. We won't see our regular PT for a month due to her vacation and scheduling issues, so she can't wait to see the progress he's made by then. I just feel like he is on the cusp and all of a sudden, he is going to be crawling and walking and getting into EVERYTHING! Can't wait ;)


Finn's PT update: Finn is doing a refresher stint of PT to augment the PT he did this spring. I noticed that while his running had improved, once t-ball started, he was having problems again. So we went back in (that was kind of the plan all along) and are doing a 4-5 session refresher which he is ROCKING as well! He does great when he doesn't THINK about running fast. For some reason, his brain tells him to run with short ineffective steps when he things "run fast!" So we are working on lifting his knees and kicking his butt. I keep telling him that if he lengthens his stride (which is our goal) he won't have to work so hard! Hey, I'm all about making it as easy as possible.

Oh, and I'm supposed to be going to PT for my knee as well...TWICE a week! Finn has it once a week and Mac has it once a week at Gillette and once every two weeks at our house. Ha! Who has time?  The update on my knee is that the "expert" basically said I have arthritis; it is nothing I "did" to cause it, there is nothing they can "do" to fix it and to just take ibuprofen and ice as needed. Basically, live with it. I'm THIRTY-SIX years old and you're tell me I have to just live with it?!?! I plan to get a second opinion at some point, but I do hope I can get into PT (maybe when Finn is done with his) and that will give me some relief. Argh. Getting old stinks ;)

Baby gate update: Jim decided to install the one I'd gotten. After much frustration it is installed. I don't love the gate because it isn't easy to open and close and it doesn't self close (which seems counter-intuitive for a baby gate!), but I think it will work for now. We are hoping we won't have to keep it up for too long but I definitely feel better having one there.

No comments: