Counters

                                                           Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Nearly half a million babies (1 in 10) are born premature in the US each year which is higher than that of most other developed nations. This is the journeys of our first born son, Finnegan, who was born 14 weeks early and weighed only 1 pound 15 ounces at birth. Of our daugher, Korrigan, who was born a healthy 7 pounds, 7 ounces at 37 weeks. And of our second son, MacKeegan, who was also born at 37 weeks at a whopping 8 pounds, 13 ounces. Our continued adventures reminds us daily how good God is.

Tuesday, July 21

One year check

Mac had his one year well-child appointment today. Overall, it went really well. What didn't go well? Korri got three shots (her kindergarten shots, gasp!) and Mac also got three shots and a blood draw. More on that later.

Mac's stats: WARNING! Novel ahead! Just read the next paragraph if you want the short and sweet of it!
Height 29.2" - 24% (31% at 9 month)
Weight 22lbs 9oz - 70% (24% at 9 month)
Head 48.6cm - 97% (94% at 9 month)

So he is getting shorter and chubbier! LOL The doctor, however, has NO concerns about his growth. And that is not a typo: he went from the 24% in weight to 70%! That is what eating table foods does to you, I guess. And I'm pretty sure his head literally can't get any bigger! Sheesh. Big head; big brains, right?!?!

He is now cleared to start drinking whole milk. I'm not sure how this will go since he still isn't a big fan of sippy cups. He can at least get some water out of them now, but still has no clue how to hold/lift them. I guess its a downside to not taking bottles at all! Along those lines, we talked about weaning. Both F and K weaned themselves (much to my sadness) so I haven't had to make a plan for it before. I want/need to be done by the time we go on vacation the last week in Sept, so she said to plan on being done two weeks before and she thought that was a good time frame, about two months. I'll start by stopping the mid-day feeding and then go down to one (not sure if I'll keep morning or bedtime). In theory, I wouldn't mind keeping morning and night for many more months, as I really enjoy that time with him. So I think it is good that I have a concrete "reason" to have to stop.

Mac trying milk with lunch (didn't go well, we'll try again later!).
She recommended that Mac get his eyes checked, considering Korri had/has her eye issues. Korri's eye doctor didn't seem to think it was an immediate need, so I'll probably schedule Mac's evaluation the next time Korri has an appointment.

Mac still has his hernia and even though it seems to be getting bigger, she isn't overly concerned. She said by Mac's age, only 30% of hernias haven't resolved by now. And by age 3, only 5% haven't resolved. So, we'll just keep watching it (she said internally, it hasn't gotten bigger) and see if something needs to be done closer to 3 years old. Hopefully it is gone by then!

Ears. Yup, I'm sure you'll be shocked to hear that Mac has another double ear infection! That is three in two months. Argh!! She said it is very rare to get ear infections this time of year, so there is reason for concern. We are going to treat him with antibiotics again and then have him checked in two weeks when the dosage is over. Then if/when he gets his fourth infection, she will refer us to an ENT. I REALLY hope we don't have to go down the tubes road, but we've gone down it before and we'll survive. Darn ears.

Vaccines. About a week ago, Korri was really upset about having to get all her shots at her 5 year well child appointment. So I told her I could make an appt at the same time as Mac's and she could get some then and some at her well-child. She thought that was a great idea. Until last night. She didn't want to go. Didn't want shots. Etc. I kept telling her not to think or worry about it now because we weren't even there. When they called us back today, they told me she "only" needed three (I thought she needed 5 but they've combined some). The dr recommended she get them all today to be done with it. I agreed. They came in to draw Mac's blood for hemoglobin (it was great!) and lead (not sure when we get the results of that). I should back up and say that I forgot his pacifier! I had it in my hand but must have set it down to pick up the diaper bag. Not good. I mean, yes, we are weaning him from it, but on a day like today...he should have his nukkie!! He was beside himself and it took a long time to get all the blood they needed.

And then complete chaos ensued. Jim had to leave early to pick Finn up from camp, so I was on my own. Thankfully, our doctor came back in to help since there is one of me and two screaming kids! The second they came in with the shots, Korri started freaking out. I mean FREAK out, hysterical, which made Mac freak out. I could barely get her up on the table and it took all of my strength to hold her. They did the shots and 10 seconds later, I mentioned stickers and she was like, "Oh, sure." She hops down and is fine! Clearly a case of the anticipation being worse than the shots!

Mac was not happy for his shots (who would be with no pacifier, a double ear infection and a blood draw?) and he cried but calmed down pretty quickly afterward. But yikes, I have no idea how long the whole thing took (maybe five minutes?!?!) but it was horrible. Thankfully, now Korri and Finn don't need shots until they are 11, so we are in the clear for them for a long time! We stopped at Dairy Queen on the way home so Korri could get some ice cream. I'm pretty sure ice cream fixes just about everything!!

No comments: