Counters

                                                           Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Nearly half a million babies (1 in 10) are born premature in the US each year which is higher than that of most other developed nations. This is the journeys of our first born son, Finnegan, who was born 14 weeks early and weighed only 1 pound 15 ounces at birth. Of our daugher, Korrigan, who was born a healthy 7 pounds, 7 ounces at 37 weeks. And of our second son, MacKeegan, who was also born at 37 weeks at a whopping 8 pounds, 13 ounces. Our continued adventures reminds us daily how good God is.

Friday, July 3

Baby gate hell

Yes, I'm being dramatic but if I have to do research on one more baby gate, I might just throw myself down the stairs and end it all! Okay, more drama, sorry.

First I was looking (and looking and looking and looking) for a large gate to fit between our entryway and living room BUT the widest ones made on the market were 72 inches. Guess how large our opening is? Freaking 74 inches! I even contacted many manufacturers directly because many gates SAY you can buy extensions but not ONE could help me. Ridiculous. At this point, I was just "thankful" that Mac wasn't moving and I could procrastinate a bit longer.

Then a few weeks ago, Mac's physical therapist said that she thought he wouldn't need a gate for very long because of his development delays. She said that he will most likely learn to crawl AND do the stairs at the same time. Hmmm...why spend $300+ on a gate (IF I could even find one) that we may only need for a couple months.

So we thought about it and decided we only needed one for the basement stairs (higher risk of falling and hopefully we can keep an eye on him if he goes toward the upstairs stairs). Easy, peasy, right? I thought a standard opening, a standard gate. Until I started doing research. Our railing on the right goes right where a gate would be unless you get one shorter than 32 inches. I was still hopeful because there are several "standard" heights including 30 inches. Perfect. BUT the problem is that when you use a 30" gate, it doesn't line up with the flat surfaces on the post on the other side. Of course! We'd need a 32" gate for that. But we can't use that height on the other side because of the railing! Argh! Do you see my frustration? Why does it have to be so difficult?

So all that being said, do you have a recommendation for a baby gate when you don't have two flush sides? One side is the wall but the other is a post and we can't use the flush corners of the post because the railing is in the way on the other side. I'm so frustrated! We'd prefer a pressure mount but would use a hardware mount IF we can find one that works.

Wow, that was a long post for simply saying we can't find a baby gate that works! I bought this one but I don't think it will work: Safety 1st Top of Stairs Decor Swing Gate

Maybe falling down the stairs a few times will just make Mac stronger?!?! What doesn't kill you...?!?! It would "only" be eight steps, after all because our stairs turn a corner...

Checking the stairs out:

No comments: