Counters

                                                           Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Nearly half a million babies (1 in 10) are born premature in the US each year which is higher than that of most other developed nations. This is the journeys of our first born son, Finnegan, who was born 14 weeks early and weighed only 1 pound 15 ounces at birth. Of our daugher, Korrigan, who was born a healthy 7 pounds, 7 ounces at 37 weeks. And of our second son, MacKeegan, who was also born at 37 weeks at a whopping 8 pounds, 13 ounces. Our continued adventures reminds us daily how good God is.

Thursday, June 11

Rah, rah ree

Kick 'em in the knee.

As you might remember, I've been having significant knee issues/pain since Oct 2013. Well, I've always had minor knee problems since high school but things got considerably worse this time. I was training for my first 5K and my right knee just refused to function properly or at all, sometimes. I went to Tria and they basically said to stay off it for two weeks and it should be fine. I did and then on day 15, I ran my 5K...after which I could BARELY walk for days. Bummer.

Well, then I got pregnant and while I ran on and off in the beginning of my pregnancy, my OB put me on limited activity around 6 months (April), so running was out. Then I had Mac and I was so tired all the time, for months the LAST thing I thought about was exercising. Then I started working out this January. I wasn't comfortable reducing calories while breast feeding but something had to be done about my weight. I thought exercising was the answer.

I quickly found out it was NOT the answer. By late Jan, I could barely walk after running, even a short distance. This was so frustrating for me since all I wanted to do was run and get fit. I finally went into my Dr. who referred me for an MRI the first week of Feb. The results showed that I had (I'm sure I'm using all the wrong terminology) inflamed marrow at my knee joint and an irregular knee cap. We decided a cortisone shot should do the trick to allow my knee to heal. I was on very limited activity until the beginning of May and then "taking it easy" until August. Again, great, no running...but if it did the trick so I can run again, so be it.

I did the elliptical, a modified cardio program and yoga. And all seemed right with my knee; for the first two months or so. Then a few weeks ago, I noticed my knee was achy and by the evening, I felt a little pain when going up stairs, enough so that I had to start taking ibuprofen for it. I stopped all activity, with the exception of walking to and from the park, and hoped that would help. It didn't, so I went in for a recheck today. She referred me to an Orthopedist, whom I go to see on Monday.

I know, who cares that I can't run? It could be so much worse and I still have mobility and use of my knee/leg. Get over it. But I want to be active and pain free. I'm not sure what to expect on Monday, but I'm looking forward to talking to an expert (that is what Tria was SUPPOSED to be when I went there a year and a half ago). He will have the results of my MRI and hopefully have an idea of the best course of action. I could just be one of the "lucky" few who have to get cortisone shots every 4 months (I really hope that isn't the case!). As DeAnn tells me regularly, "you know have one set of knees, so you better take care of them!" I'm trying, I really am. More to come after my appt.

Rah rah rass, kick 'em in the...other knee!

And because I can't have a post without a picture, Mac LOVES playing with this (usually empty) plastic tub! Who needs fancy baby toys?

No comments: