Counters

                                                           Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Nearly half a million babies (1 in 10) are born premature in the US each year which is higher than that of most other developed nations. This is the journeys of our first born son, Finnegan, who was born 14 weeks early and weighed only 1 pound 15 ounces at birth. Of our daugher, Korrigan, who was born a healthy 7 pounds, 7 ounces at 37 weeks. And of our second son, MacKeegan, who was also born at 37 weeks at a whopping 8 pounds, 13 ounces. Our continued adventures reminds us daily how good God is.

Thursday, May 28

Tummy is best...

So I KNOW they preach "back is best" for babies. I get it. It probably IS safer. But let's face it, it is more natural for most babies to sleep on their tummies. I did. Jim did. All of my sisters did. F and K did (gasp!) but I was determined to have a baby who slept on his back. So M slept in his swing for the first six (seven?) months. But I did eventually get him to sleep in his crib ON HIS BACK! Ah, success.

I can't really take the credit per se (other than PUTTING him on his back to begin with) because once on his back, he couldn't do anything about it since he wasn't rolling over. Well, he has FINALLY mastered rolling over (back to tummy anyway) and for the last two nights, he's rolled over on his tummy and somehow rotates 180 degrees so his head is at the "foot" of his crib! Oh, well. Like I said, I really think tummy is more natural and/or comforting.



We are so used to him sleeping on his back that Jim wanted to roll him back over the first night. Um, NO! #1. "they" all say that once a baby can roll, it is fine for them to sleep on their tummies. #2. Unless there is a credible threat of losing life or limb...why would you wake a sleeping baby? #3. I think it is really good for M's muscles to get used to being on his tummy more.

So there you have it. Now we have a rolling over, tummy sleeping baby!

Also, I forgot about how wet they get over night when they sleep on their tummy (especially boys). Might be time to get nighttime diapers!

No comments: