Counters

                                                           Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Nearly half a million babies (1 in 10) are born premature in the US each year which is higher than that of most other developed nations. This is the journeys of our first born son, Finnegan, who was born 14 weeks early and weighed only 1 pound 15 ounces at birth. Of our daugher, Korrigan, who was born a healthy 7 pounds, 7 ounces at 37 weeks. And of our second son, MacKeegan, who was also born at 37 weeks at a whopping 8 pounds, 13 ounces. Our continued adventures reminds us daily how good God is.

Thursday, May 14

Roly poly

I have been patient. That's not to say that I haven't been concerned nor looked into ways to help but I have been patient. Maybe because he's my third or maybe because we've been through so much "worse" with his big brother. But I've been patient and I've had good perspective on the "big" picture. Mac is healthy. Mac has good muscle tone. Mac CAN and WILL do these things he isn't doing now. Some day. Until that day comes, I've been patient.

Well, the first of many of those days was yesterday! Even though I don't think it is the catalyse, we had Mac's first PT appt yesterday. It went well, but we focused on standing and kneeling transitions (not rolling, for the record!). Later in the day, Mac was laying on his back on the ottoman (safety risk, I know...but he isn't moving anywhere!) and it seemed like he wanted to roll over. Jim gave him some motivation and he did it ONCE! I missed most of it. So we moved him to the floor, for safety and for more leverage, and he wasn't too sure he wanted to do it again. Like with all things with him, you almost have to make it so he doesn't know he's doing it.

And after a few minutes, he did this:



Like he's been doing it for months! Little stinker. You can see it is hardest for him to lift up his GIGANTIC head and then get his arm out from under his chest...but he did ALL of that! Not to mention, he tolerated tummy time so much better (maybe since he got himself into the position?!?!). I don't know, but I feel like the train is "rolling" out of the station and we are definitely all on board!

Also, don't you like the motivation we used? A shoe, beads and daddy's phone! Hey, you gotta work in their currency! I can't wait to show the video to his PT next week. Now we need to work on transitioning from sitting to laying and back. I think it will rock his world when he figures that out!

Side note: He did NOT have fun at his PT appt. He was very sensitive and just wanted to be by mommy. Thankfully(?!?!) I've done this before, so I'm actually pretty good at taking the PT's direction and doing the moves. Normally she would be the one manipulating him. Oh, well. I think he'll warm up after a few sessions...hopefully! Also, she gave me the results of his Peabody test and he tested at 4 months for mobility...not surprising, but a little more delayed than what the Bayley's showed and still frustrating. But he'll get there!

No comments: