Counters

                                                           Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Nearly half a million babies (1 in 10) are born premature in the US each year which is higher than that of most other developed nations. This is the journeys of our first born son, Finnegan, who was born 14 weeks early and weighed only 1 pound 15 ounces at birth. Of our daugher, Korrigan, who was born a healthy 7 pounds, 7 ounces at 37 weeks. And of our second son, MacKeegan, who was also born at 37 weeks at a whopping 8 pounds, 13 ounces. Our continued adventures reminds us daily how good God is.

Monday, May 11

A Mother's Day to remember

I had a great Mother's Day. I am very lucky to have a husband who knows how to do it right. He got up and brought the baby to me so I could feed him in bed. Then he got up with the Bigs and made me breakfast in bed.

It was SO good. I guess picking the "perfect" card took a while at the store but it was super cute and of course, sang a song (You Got It by Roy Orbison!). Then I got a pot of tulips, which I love, a Veggetti, which is a contraption you use to cut veggies into spaghetti, and finally, a half-share to our neighborhood CSA (Community Sponsored Agriculture). We did this last year and loved it, so I'm excited to do it again.

Then we all got ready and went to church. The kids made me corsages during Sunday School, which was super cute and I wore until Baby tore them off. When we got home, we did something I always want to do but we never remember or take the time: a family picture:

Hard to get us all looking at the camera and smiling, but I think it turned out okay. Mac was feeling a little under the weather (I think teething!) so I spent a lot of the day in bed with him, which was fine with me.

Then, because Mother's Day wouldn't be complete without having to be a "mom" at some point, Mac puked all over me just after I'd given him baby food! At least it was apples and blueberries, so it could have been worse! He ended up puking three times and then was a different kid afterward. Maybe it was a little bug...who knows?!?! He slept fine last night, so hopefully it is gone today.

I'm sure I'm already forgetting some details, but even if I am, it was a wonderful day. Jim kept telling me not to do things, which was super nice and thoughtful, especially since he was feeling a little under the weather, too.

I'd also like to wish my mom a very happy Mother's Day. I don't know how you raised four girls, often by yourself, it probably seemed. But you did and I don't remember you being overwhelmed or exasperated, like I so often find myself. I don't know if it is selective memory or if you just handled yourself with grace, but regardless, I'm so thankful for the example you've set for me as a mother and the love I've received my whole life. And here is a picture of the two of us (circa 1979):

I had to crop Kristine and dad out. I had a hard time finding a picture of just us! Thank you for all you've done and for all you do. I love you!

And Mother's Day wouldn't be possible in my family without the love and guidance of these two amazing women as well:

Top: Grandma Smith (my mom's mom) with Mac and Bottom: Grandma Walsh (my dad's mom) with Mac.

These two women are incredible beyond measure. They both are the matriarchs of two huge families and yet make a point to let each one of us know how much they love us. I only hope to be half the wife, mother and (some day) grandmother they are!

No comments: