Counters

                                                           Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Nearly half a million babies (1 in 10) are born premature in the US each year which is higher than that of most other developed nations. This is the journeys of our first born son, Finnegan, who was born 14 weeks early and weighed only 1 pound 15 ounces at birth. Of our daugher, Korrigan, who was born a healthy 7 pounds, 7 ounces at 37 weeks. And of our second son, MacKeegan, who was also born at 37 weeks at a whopping 8 pounds, 13 ounces. Our continued adventures reminds us daily how good God is.

Friday, April 24

Watch not worry

Mac had his nine month well child appointment this morning. I wasn't looking forward to it because I felt like we had a few major "things" to talk about and that always stresses me out. That being said, here are his measurements:

Height: 28" or 31% (40% at 6 months)
Weight: 18lbs 5oz or 24% (32% at 6 months)
Head: 47cm or 94%...that is NOT a typo! (90% at 6 months)

I think this may be the first time ever that one of my child's height percentage is bigger than their weight! Hey, we make short chubby babies, so what can I say?!? It makes me chuckle when people tell me he is "such a big boy." Um, not really any more! I looked back and Korri was an inch and a half shorter (22%) and almost a pound heavier (63%) and her head was a measly 60%! For his adjusted age, Finn was 17 lbs 10oz (11%) and almost 26" (less than 3rd%) and his head was 70%. I thought it was kind of fun to see where they all were at this age.

The two main things we talked about were his development delays and his size. The short of it: she said it is somewhat "normal" to have gross motor delays at this age because they are learning so many things in such a short time but that she was glad we were being proactive about it. And secondly, even though his weight percentile has dropped dramatically since birth (he was as high at 86% at one point), his "curve" still looks good and he is growing. So basically with both of these things, she is watching them but not worried. Okay, I'll take my cues from her (or try to).

The details (stop reading now, if you don't want to be put to sleep!). I, of course, forgot the IFSP from our meeting yesterday. I did remembered a lot of the details and she said to just drop off a copy when I had time because she'd like to see the details. But she was very happy with the overall results. We agreed that it would be beneficial to and for Mac to be seen at Gillette, since they have a more focused approach than the services offered by the school district. She sent a referral over for that, so I just need to wait for their call and set that up. (Of course, Finn has ONE more session so we'll just keep driving every week, I guess!)

Regarding his size, she said some babies are larger at birth and then correct for the size they should be as they grow. I'm hoping that is the case. At least he is proportional. She stressed very strongly that she is NOT WORRIED about his size. She said she wants to keep an eye on it, which we've already been doing, but is NOT concerned at this point. Okay, take a deep breath, Stacy. She said we can try to increase his fat intake with his solids. Ha, I've NEVER heard that from a doctor! And now that he can eat almost anything, she said we can use full fat yogurt and add butter to veggies and things like that. I guess we'll be getting some full fat yogurt at the store! I've already been adding some baby cereal to his fruits and veggies, so I'll continue to do that. Every little bit helps!

Along those lines, we've been working hard to get him to self-feed...and it is catching on! He has a tendency to drop it right before it gets to his mouth. Once he has that figured out, I think it will be easier to sneak calories in throughout the day. It will also make meal time easier because he'll be more likely to eat what we are eating. (for the record, I can't believe he is old enough to eat table food!!! Where has the time gone?!?!)

I brought up the fact that he is overly attached to me, but she reassured me that it is perfectly normal. I knew it was, but I was worried that since he's with me all day and I still nurse, that it was a bit out of control. She said it is usually from 7-10 months, give or take, so hopefully it starts to improve here in the next month. Also, she was impressed that while she was examining him, he did fine, although he kept checking to make sure mom and dad were close. She also gave him a tongue depressor to play with, which helped and is his favorite thing!

About a month or so ago, we noticed a small "pock" on his right cheek. At first we thought it was a pimple but it hasn't gone away and at times, feels hard and gets irritated easily. Again, she wasn't concerned about it now, but wanted to keep an eye on it. IF, and that is a big if, we have to do something about it, it wouldn't be done until he is much older.

Sleeping. So apparently, Mac has become TOO dependent on his pacifier. Between 9 pm and midnight, he wakes up often and all he needs is his pacifier. She strongly recommended to sleep train him without it. Argh. It is so hard for me to let him cry when I know a simple solution will calm him back down. She said to think of it as teaching him how to self-sooth is a gift you are giving him. Hmmm...I doubt he will feel that way! She is not concerned at all about him still being swaddled and reassured me that it has NOTHING to do with his development delays. She said we can start trying to wean him from the swaddle if we like, but not to do both the pacifier and swaddle at the same time! I've said it before and I'll say it again...this is really hard for me because I like to do what works. But some would argue that it isn't "working" any more either. Deep breath...here we go!

She said it is time to introduce a sippy cup. I don't think he will be very interested in it since he has NO interest in bottles, but it doesn't hurt to start now. Plus, I REALLY want to avoid bottles all together if we can, so once he is done nursing, I'd like to be able to go directly to a sippy cup. I guess we'll see how that goes.

Think that is "all!" Wow, and I think this was our shortest doctor appointment so far (30 minutes)! She said she's surprised I still bring in a list of concerns since Mac is my third child. Oh, doctor dear...you don't know me at all if you think I wouldn't have a list!! LOL

So we leave a lot of these things as things to watch. Like when there is severe weather and there is a weather watch before a warning...and let's face it, we never "worry" until it has been upgraded to a warning, anyway, right? So Mac is at a weather watch, hopefully he won't be upgraded to a warning if we have anything to say or can do about it.

My boys:

No comments: