Counters

                                                           Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Nearly half a million babies (1 in 10) are born premature in the US each year which is higher than that of most other developed nations. This is the journeys of our first born son, Finnegan, who was born 14 weeks early and weighed only 1 pound 15 ounces at birth. Of our daugher, Korrigan, who was born a healthy 7 pounds, 7 ounces at 37 weeks. And of our second son, MacKeegan, who was also born at 37 weeks at a whopping 8 pounds, 13 ounces. Our continued adventures reminds us daily how good God is.

Sunday, March 1

Winter Swimming

The last day of swimming was yesterday. I think the 8 weeks went by fast. Jim didn't think they could go fast enough. Finn really struggled this year and I don't know why. He loves to swim and when he is with Jim, is pretty brave. He goes under, jumps in by himself and swims independently with the help of his life jacket. But at his lessons, which had six kids and two instructors, one instructor was always helping him. He wouldn't even jump in for the first two weeks. It is frustrating for me to watch, since I know he can do it. I kind of wish the instructors would have "made" him do it, but I guess they can't do that. Oh, well. Needless to say, he didn't "pass" level 1 and will be repeating it the next time we take lessons (hopefully this summer). On his final evaluation, I thought she was very generous on the things she said he could do (based on his behavior at lessons). She said he wasn't able to tread water, open eyes underwater to retrieve object (which he does with Jim in the bath ALL THE TIME!)  and independently travel 5 yards, bob 5 times and go back. The comments were to "really work on being independent in the water." Or I think they should be, "pushing yourself to do the things you already know you can."

Korri was another story. She was in Preschool A (there is Preschool A, B and C before Level 1), which is her first swim lessons without one of us in the water with her. There were 5 kids and one instructor, which I thought was WAY too many for one person, especially at this age (ages 4-5). Oh, well, nobody drowned, I guess ;) Korri is so brave and comfortable in the water and LOVED her instructor. She was able to do everything on the list of the evaluation and passed Preschool A. Depending on the timing of the classes, I might even put her in Preschool C next time (I'm almost certain she would be fine in Level 1!). Her instructor's comment was, "fun to have in class!" I'm surprised she didn't say something about paying a little more attention and less socializing!

I'm hoping that Finn was just timid this time because it was new and we all know how he hates new things. Maybe next time he will feel more comfortable and confident since he will know what to expect. I couldn't get a good picture of Korri because her class was across the pool, but here is Finn jumping in the deep end (I think he looks like a frog!!):

(the life jacket is for safety day, which is always the last day of a session)

Before our next lessons, I hope we have some opportunities to go swimming and work on some of these things.

No comments: