From age four to seven months, is the period when he’ll learn to coordinate his emerging perceptive abilities (the use of senses like vision, touch, and hearing) and his increasing motor abilities to develop skills like grasping, rolling over, sitting up, and possibly even crawling.
Here are some other milestones to look for:
- Rolls both ways (front to back, back to front) He CAN roll from tummy to back but not the other way
- Sits with, and then without, support of her hands He CAN sit, but is still pretty wobbly
- Supports her whole weight on her legs Yup, he's done that for months
- Reaches with one hand Yup
- Transfers object from hand to hand Yup
- Uses raking grasp (not pincer) Yes but has started using pincer, too
- Develops full color vision
- Distance vision matures
- Ability to track moving objects improves
- Responds to own name Some times, the problem is that we have so many nicknames for him!
- Begins to respond to “no” Not yet, but haven't had to say it very much (except when nursing...ouch!)
- Distinguishes emotions by tone of voice YES, responds very much to the mood of his siblings
- Responds to sound by making sounds All the time
- Uses voice to express joy and displeasure Yes, very expressive
- Babbles chains of consonants He thinks he is actually talking to us, it is so cute
- Finds partially hidden object I'm not sure, but I think so
- Explores with hands and mouth Yes
- Struggles to get objects that are out of reach Yes, but doesn't move his body to them
- Enjoys social play Yes, very much so
- Interested in mirror images Yes, but likes mommy's more than his own
- Responds to other people’s expressions of emotion and appears joyful often Yes!
Overall, Mac has become quite the happy little baby. He often sleeps from 8p to 8a but gets up once around 3a to eat. He plays in his jumper a lot (we even had to move it up to the second notch!). I still have him play on his play mat because I think it is good to have floor time, especially since he isn't rolling. He loves to sit up with the boppy around him and play with toys. I think he thinks he is a big boy when he does that. He loves to grab his toes, which I think might be the one of the cutest things babies do.
He recently started saying, "dadada" and even "hi dada." He talks or squeals all the time. While he is stingy with them, he now belly laughs, which I LOVE to hear. He still uses a pacifier but prefers sucking on his fingers most of the time. No teeth yet but lots of drool and chewing. He has eaten carrots, sweet potatoes, peas, avocados, broccoli and bananas. Once he tasted bananas, I'm pretty sure he thought his life was complete! He LOVED them. I am doing better about getting solid foods in him than I was last month. Still a challenge but I'm sure it will continue to improve (plus, it gets more calories in him, so that is my motivation!).
Here are his month pictures: