Counters

                                                           Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Nearly half a million babies (1 in 10) are born premature in the US each year which is higher than that of most other developed nations. This is the journeys of our first born son, Finnegan, who was born 14 weeks early and weighed only 1 pound 15 ounces at birth. Of our daugher, Korrigan, who was born a healthy 7 pounds, 7 ounces at 37 weeks. And of our second son, MacKeegan, who was also born at 37 weeks at a whopping 8 pounds, 13 ounces. Our continued adventures reminds us daily how good God is.

Friday, February 20

Glad I took her

My mom always said she never regretted taking us kids to the doctor, even if there was nothing they could do (i.e. we ended up having a virus). I always keep that in the back of my mind when my kids are "sick" because my natural instinct is that they are fine or will be with some TLC from momma and time.

Last night before bed, Korri said twice that her throat hurt. Now, considering the time of day it was, you never know if she is telling the truth because she will try almost anything NOT to go to bed. I told her to take a drink of water and it would be better in the morning. And honestly, I forgot about it.

This morning, she was up for a while and when it was time to eat breakfast, she said her throat hurt again. Hmmm...I thought she would have forgotten about it by now (if it had been a stalling tactic), so I told her to eat breakfast and that might make her feel better (LOL, anything to distract her). Plus, the thermometer was in baby's room and I wasn't going to wake him up just to take her temp when she didn't feel very warm to me.

About half an hour later, she mentioned it again. I asked her if it just hurt a little or so bad that she couldn't eat. She said so bad she couldn't eat. Hmmm...since you JUST had breakfast... So I told her we'd take her temperature when baby woke up and see then. Which I did about half an hour after that and it was low grade (99.2) but considering she kept mentioning it (but didn't have a single other symptom), I decided to take her in. What would it hurt?!?! Nothing. A wasted trip to Delano at most.

Since we just needed a lab appointment, we could get right in. I fully expected it to be nothing, but when a kid gets sick on Friday, I'd rather get in and find out it is nothing than wait and it be something over the weekend! The nurse did the swab, which Korri did great for. And she came back moments later (which is NEVER a good sign!). Yup, it was positive! I think four years is pretty good for getting strep for the first time (says a mom who had strep so much as a kid, I had it twice in one week!).

We picked up her prescription and had lunch (complete with ice cream at the end...of course...I mean, she has strep throat!). Now I'm hoping that she doesn't pass it on to her brothers (or dad!)! Ha, unlikely since it is super contagious, but we'll try. And since we started the antibiotic right away, she won't be contagious starting tomorrow AM. I have to say, I am grateful that when my kid are "sick," they weather it really well (for the most part). I mean, if Korri hadn't said something, I NEVER would have guessed she was sick. All three had the flu over Christmas and you'd barely have guessed they were sick at all! Here's hoping she recovers quickly and is able to keep her germs to herself!

And because I hate posts without something cute, here is a video of Baby playing with an empty Veggie Straw bag. He played with it FOREVER!

From Videos

No comments: