Counters

                                                           Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Nearly half a million babies (1 in 10) are born premature in the US each year which is higher than that of most other developed nations. This is the journeys of our first born son, Finnegan, who was born 14 weeks early and weighed only 1 pound 15 ounces at birth. Of our daugher, Korrigan, who was born a healthy 7 pounds, 7 ounces at 37 weeks. And of our second son, MacKeegan, who was also born at 37 weeks at a whopping 8 pounds, 13 ounces. Our continued adventures reminds us daily how good God is.

Tuesday, February 3

F & K Well Childs

We had Finn's 6 year and Korri's 4 year well child appts on Friday. All five of us went, which was interesting given the exam rooms aren't very big! Overall, both kids are doing great, which is always great to hear.

I'll start with Finn.

Height: 43.5" (17%) (20th last April)
Weight: 48.8 lbs (68%) (60the last April)
BMI: 94%

I think his height percentile is slightly down from last year (I think it was between 20 and 25%). His weight has held fairly steady for the last few years right around the 60-65%. But because he is shorter, his BMI is probably always going to be high. The doctor was not at all concerned about it.

We talked about some moles on Finn's back (they have a halo around them) but apparently this is fairly common and nothing to worry about. I also pointed out that Finn has a "divot" on his right ear that he HATES getting cleaned out. She said they COULD do something about it but to just encourage him to clean it and it should be fine. That is all well and good until I tried to clean it after swimming on Saturday and he FREAKED out. So frustrating.

The other big thing we talked about was Finn's muscle tone. He has always had low muscle tone but I'd kind of forgotten about it or lulled myself into thinking it was better. Until I watched him play basketball with his peers. He was noticeably weaker when it came to shooting the ball (all the other boys could at least get the ball to the rim and Finn wasn't even close). She had him do a few rudimentary skill tests (balance on one foot, hop on one foot, skip, etc) and he did fine on those. She said his balance and coordination are fine but suggested that we have a Physical Therapy evaluation done to assess his muscle tone. That way we KNOW where he's at and we can decide what to do once we have that information. I am waiting for the order to go through to make that appointment. Happily, it will be at Gillette, where Finn went for the first two years of his life, so we are familiar with it (it is just a further drive now!). I'll update once we have that evaluation done. He doesn't need any shots until he is 11, so he was happy to hear that!

Now on to Korri.

Height: 41.25" (82%) (69th last year)
Weight: 44.8 lbs (95%) (84th last year)
BMI: 97%

As you may remember, her BMI has always been a bit of an issue. But we talked about it and the doctor reassured me that a high BMI doesn't mean a child is over weight. She said it sounds like she eats well and is active, which is more important than BMI. Plus, looking at her you wouldn't think she weighs too much. But it is something to keep in mind and I continue to push things that are "healthy for her body" as she likes to say. I wonder which well child it will be when Korri is the same size as Finn. I think it is coming. We talked about her dry skin, which she said to keep doing what we are doing (plus, it is SO much better than it has been in the past).

The other thing we talked about was Korri's right hand. She picks the skin and nails on her right hand fingers. So much so, that I haven't had to clip her nails in months on that hand. The doctor just asked Korri why she does it (she completely leaves her left hand alone). I can't remember what she said but the doctor told her to let them be so mommy could clip them, too. We will see. The doctor wasn't overly concerned about Korri sucking her thumb other than it spreading more germs. She said studies show that it does NOT help for parents or caregivers to reminder her to take it out, either. And eventually, she will stop for any number of reasons, including peer pressure. So, we will see. She also said wetting the bed at night is perfectly normal and I'm not concerned about it because I know she CAN stay dry, it is a matter of it being important enough to her. I have a feeling it will be coming soon, especially since she was practically night trained a year ago! She didn't need any shots at this point (even though I'd prepped her just in case) as all of the ones she needs are for kindergarten. I think I might split them all up so she doesn't have to get them all at her 5 year well child, though.

I think I covered it all. I should really do the recap right away, but we were a bit busy last week! Healthy kids make for a happy momma!


No comments: