Counters

                                                           Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Nearly half a million babies (1 in 10) are born premature in the US each year which is higher than that of most other developed nations. This is the journeys of our first born son, Finnegan, who was born 14 weeks early and weighed only 1 pound 15 ounces at birth. Of our daugher, Korrigan, who was born a healthy 7 pounds, 7 ounces at 37 weeks. And of our second son, MacKeegan, who was also born at 37 weeks at a whopping 8 pounds, 13 ounces. Our continued adventures reminds us daily how good God is.

Thursday, January 29

Spring Conferences?

I'm not sure how they dare call them "spring" conference when they are in January, but we had Finn's second conferences tonight (the first set were the beginning of Oct). Overall, he is doing great, which is what we were expecting (and happy) to hear. The difference with this conference is that Finn did a self-evaluation and he went over that with us and told us his accomplishments and goals for the rest of the year. I was very impressed with his ability to do that (since it is hard to do even as an adult!).

He went through a long list of things that he had to rank his performance as always, sometimes and never (and then his teacher did, too). I was most impressed (and proud!) that all the items that had to do with helping others, being kind and listening to directions, he scored an "always" by his teacher. And to me, especially in kindergarten, those are the most important. I wish we could have gotten a copy of the list, so I can remember some of the things on the list. Oh, well.

He said he "never" eats all of his lunch (LOL), practices his rainbow (sight) words at home (he doesn't, because I thought we weren't supposed to, oops!) nor reads at home (um, whatever dude, we read a lot!). I thought those were funny.

The one thing from his report card that we talked about as needing improvement is his ability to rote count to 100. For the testing, he could only count to 59. So I had him do it for me at home and he got to 69 and then couldn't come up with 70. But honestly, he can count by tens and he HAS counted to 100 so I think he just gets bored or distracted. I mean, you sit and count to 100 and see if your mind doesn't wander! Seventy-five percent of his peers can count to 100, so she just told us to try to have him connect counting by tens to counting by ones, when/if he gets stuck. I'm not worried about it but don't mind helping him out with it either.

She brought up that he is having some behavior issues, which just floored me. I mean, this is FINN! Apparently, he and another boy are inseparable during class and are distracting to each other (and she said Finn is the instigator, which again, floored me). But one of the main reasons this is a problem is that Finn isn't getting is work done. Again, while I'm not overly concerned about it, clearly none of his other peers are having the same problem and she felt it was a big enough deal to bring it up to us. So I asked how I can help at home and she said to just stress the message that when it is work time, we work and when it is play time, we play. So now instead of my departing message in the morning being for him to listen, it will be that! He is so cerebral, that I think/hope it will stick and hopefully won't be an issue much longer. Little stinker!

I'm sure there were tons of other stuff we discussed, but I can't remember off the top of my head. He is doing great and has friends, so that is what I focus on. A huge thank you to DeAnn for watching Korri and Mac while we were at conferences, especially since Mac was a little bugger for you. I feel so guilty when I try to get away and he doesn't "behave." Hopefully he grows out of that stage soon!

No comments: