Counters

                                                           Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Nearly half a million babies (1 in 10) are born premature in the US each year which is higher than that of most other developed nations. This is the journeys of our first born son, Finnegan, who was born 14 weeks early and weighed only 1 pound 15 ounces at birth. Of our daugher, Korrigan, who was born a healthy 7 pounds, 7 ounces at 37 weeks. And of our second son, MacKeegan, who was also born at 37 weeks at a whopping 8 pounds, 13 ounces. Our continued adventures reminds us daily how good God is.

Friday, January 30

Four going on Fourteen

Today my sweet baby "grill" turns FOUR! Four seems so much older than 3, although according to her, she hasn't been 3 in a while because she was three and a half! Duh. For the record, I'm glad to be done with the threes (well until Mac gets there, I suppose). They are tough. I know each age has its challenges but I wasn't sure we were both going to survive the threes. But we did and are better for it, I'm sure.

This week has been crazy busy, so since Jim had a meeting this morning, I thought Korri and I would slow down, snuggle in my bed for a bit and watch Frozen, which we haven't watched in forever, seriously.

I was hoping to take her to the Ice Castle in Eden Prairie for something special to do ON her birthday, but they don't open until 2 or 3 in the afternoon! Well, that wouldn't work since Finn gets home just before 3:30. Darn. So I asked her what she wanted to do and she OF COURSE picked...McDonald's on Buffalo. Why you ask? Because they have a play area. If that's what my birthday girl wants to do, that's what my birthday girl shall do.

We stayed there for almost an hour and a half and she got to have an ice cream cone to top it off. I loved that she wanted to wear her crown from preschool the whole day! (they celebrated her birthday yesterday at preschool and she brought cupcakes and My Little Pony rings to pass out) Then we went home and decided she didn't need to nap (gasp!) but she had to have a good attitude. Then I laid baby down for a nap, went to do yoga in the basement and TOTALLY forgot about hers and Finn's well child appointments! Oops. I know, lame that Korri had to go to the dr on her birthday, but they had an opening for both of them at the same time, so I took it. I was 10 minutes late to pick Finn up from school and we walked into the dr. office only two minutes late. I guess it could have been far worse! But I HATE being late. I'll go over well child visits in my next post.

By the time we got done with the appts, it was after 5pm and we decided to eat at Dairy Queen for dinner. I know what you're thinking; two fast food places in one day. But you know what? Deal. It worked for us and we were on a tight schedule for the evening. Plus, Korri loved it and even got ANOTHER ice cream cone! That "grill" is just like her momma...we'd both eat vanilla ice cream all day long, if we could!

We were on a tight schedule because as part of his 4 week basketball camp, Finn got to go to the HLWW varsity Boys Basketball game and SIT ON THE BENCH  with them during the game! We decided Jim would take Finn and I stay home to clean and get started on Korri's birthday cake. Jim said it was the coolest thing ever. Finn got to go in the locker room for the pre-game pep talk, they introduced Finn when they introduced the players at the beginning of the game and he got to sit on the bench until half time. I never know how he will do with unfamiliar things, but Jim said he did great. I wish I could have been there. What a great way for the district to get boys interested in playing basketball at a young age! When he is in third grade, he will get to play at half time!

While the boys were gone, Korri got to watch Cinderella while mommy cleaned. Then when the boys got home, we celebrated and sang happy birthday with cupcakes at 9:15pm! Better late than never. I didn't start working on her cake (which she "helped" me with after her movie was done and before the boys got back) until 8pm. Yikes! I still have things that I want to finish tomorrow, but it shouldn't take too long. Needless to say, it was an action packed, busy day, but the most important thing is that Korri had a GREAT day.

I think Korri challenges me so much as her parent because there is a lot of me in her. Just as fiercely as she is stubborn and sassy, she is sweet, empathetic and affectionate. She will snuggle any time, anywhere. She is my helper. She dances like nobody's watching and sings songs that she made up like nobody's listening. I love that about her and hope that never changes. Now, if turning four would make her ears start listening better, that would be fabulous! Here's to another amazing year, that I'm sure will fly by all too quickly.

No comments: