Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Nearly half a million babies (1 in 10) are born premature in the US each year which is higher than that of most other developed nations. This is the journeys of our first born son, Finnegan, who was born 14 weeks early and weighed only 1 pound 15 ounces at birth. Of our daugher, Korrigan, who was born a healthy 7 pounds, 7 ounces at 37 weeks. And of our second son, MacKeegan, who was also born at 37 weeks at a whopping 8 pounds, 13 ounces. Our continued adventures reminds us daily how good God is.

Sunday, December 28

Merry Christmas?

Christmas was...interesting this year. It all started the Saturday before. Korri went to bed with a fever. No biggie. We just gave her some Tylenol and figured it was a little cold. I mean EVERYTHING was going around like crazy at school. Mac was up for two hours violently vomiting but had not other symptoms so the on-call doctor wasn't too concerned. He was fine within 24 hours (thank God!). We survived baby's first illness.

Back to Korri, her fever came and went on Sunday but she had developed this barking cough. Given both kids were sick at the same time, I decided I was going to bring them into to the doctor the next day (Monday). To be honest, I was far more worried about Mac than I was about Korri. Until she woke up Monday. Her cough had gotten so bad that she was having problems breathing in. Thankfully (have I mentioned lately how much I LOVE our clinic?!?!), we were able to get both kids in right away Monday morning.

The doctor looked Mac over and was very pleased with the progress he'd made and deemed him completely fine. Yay! He thought it was a gastro-bug that has been going around. Luckily(?) Mac got the hard fast 24 hour bug instead of the lingering week to two week one! Not the same with Korri. I think he immediately knew what it was, but was trying to be positive. He had her nose swabbed to test for influenza. He said it could take up to 15 minutes for the results. When he came back TWO minutes later, I knew it wasn't good news. No, Korri had influenza Type A. Crap. She was JUST outside the 36 hours window to receive Tami-flu, so she was given prednisone for her breathing and was told to take it easy. We asked a million questions about duration and contamination and felt confident at that point, that all would be well by Wed, in time to head to Oville for Christmas. The doctor said that if either of the boys came down with a fever, to come back in to get tested right away.

Well, that afternoon, I was napping with Mac and I received a phone call. From whom you ask? Yup, the school nurse! Finn had complained about not feeling well in the morning and he fever had progressed above 100 degrees. Great. And Jim was in Minnetonka with the van. Double Great. I called and got an appt for 4:30 and while Jim headed back immediately, it would still take him an hour to get back. I was so thankful that our friend Beth happened to be home and was able to run up to school to pick Finn up.

Jim brought Finn in and yup, influenza Type A. They put him on Tami-flu and decided to put Mac on a preventative dose since it was likely that he would get it as well. Tami-flu is in short supply and hard to find, but we were able to find some in Howard Lake, enough for Finn's prescription and half of Mac's. By Tuesday AM, Mac had a fever, so we upped his dosage to a treatment level. The doctor said there was no reason to bring him in to get tested.

So, three of three were sick with the flu ONE day before Christmas. Santa comes to our house on the Eve of Christmas Eve. We were still hopeful that we could go to Oville on Wed but we needed to be fever free to greatly decrease the risk of spreading it. We got up Wed and I think Finn was fever free, Mac had a low grade fever and Korri still had a fever. Argh! We kept taking temps throughout the day, but we just weren't recovering quickly enough. Jim finally called his parents in the afternoon to tell them the sad news. We were staying home in quarantine for Christmas.

There are many things to be thankful for. 1. Jim and I did NOT get sick. I don't know how, but we remained healthy. I was run down and exhausted, but that was probably from taking care of sick kids. 2. While all kids were sick, they weren't horribly ill and really weren't awful. It could have been SO much worse. 3. Because of the school break and us not going anywhere, it seems the pandemic that is the flu this year, is subsiding and we didn't spread it to any of our family members. 4. Because we switch celebrating on Christmas Eve each year with each of our families, we were still able to celebrate with my family today, Sunday (and we were healthy enough to go!).

So there you have it. The kids and I didn't leave the house from Monday to Saturday. To say that we had cabin fever is an understatement. Here's hoping that next year we are healthy enough to celebrate ON Christmas with all of our family! We hope you all had a wonderful and healthy Christmas!

No comments: