Anyway, here are some milestones for the "average" 3 month old and my comments on them regarding Mac's development.
- Raises head and chest when lying on stomach (To be perfectly honest, I don't put him on his tummy much, shame on me! But he has been able to hold his head up almost since birth. Not sure about his chest.)
- Supports upper body with arms when lying on stomach (He can if you put his arms under him)
- Stretches legs out and kicks when lying on stomach or back (Yes, stretches and kicks a lot)
- Opens and shuts hands (Yes)
- Pushes down on legs when feet are placed on a firm surface (Yes, did this at his two month well-child appt and Dr was impressed)
- Brings hand to mouth (He does but not as often as he used to now that he prefers the pacifier)
- Takes swipes at dangling objects with hands (Yes! He LOVES playing on his play mat and swatting at the purple parrot above him)
- Grasps and shakes hand toys (Not independently, but can for a short time if object is put in his hand)
- Watches faces intently (Not really, he still doesn't like to look directly at people very often)
- Follows moving objects (yes)
- Recognizes familiar objects and people at a distance (I don't think so, but how can you tell?)
- Starts using hands and eyes in coordination (Starting to, he was trying to touch a toy in front of him and couldn't reach but kept trying!)
- Smiles at the sound of your voice (Not very often, but he is very stingy with the smiles...unless you are the ceiling fan or Goldy Gopher or you catch him in a really good mood)
- Begins to babble (Yes and I LOVE it so much)
- Begins to imitate some sounds (I find us imitating him more than he imitates us, but then we just go back and forth copying each other)
- Turns head toward direction of sound (Not always. He gets pretty focused on certain things and can't be bothered)
- Begins to develop a social smile (Yes, but like I said, a little stingy with showing it)
- Enjoys playing with other people and may cry when playing stops (I haven't noticed crying when play stops but just recently started liking to "play" on his mat or when Korri plays with him)
- Becomes more communicative and expressive with face and body (I think so. He now has a pouty lip when he is mad or about to cry...LOVE it.)
- Imitates some movements and facial expressions (Haven't noticed this yet)
We had Mac's 3 month pictures with Jess on Thursday and they went really well. Except Mac didn't want to smile at all! I think we got at least one full smile and maybe a half smile too. Oh, well. Good thing he is so cute with or without a smile. Can't wait to get them back.
Mac likes his jumper! I don't remember either of the other two liking it but he will sit in it for 10-15 minutes at a time (which I think is a long time for this age). I like that it changes his position and sits him upright and still supports him. He doesn't really play with it or jump in it yet but looks around and talks to the parrot hanging over him.
He is still a good eater, although since he got his stuffy nose, he thinks eating for 6-7 minutes is a full feeding when before it was closer to 20-25 minutes! Makes me frustrated but I think he is getting enough (he looks like it anyway!) and it seems to be getting better over the last day or so. Still...best eater out of my three by FAR! I think Jim is looking forward to starting solids so he can participate more with feedings. We will discuss with the Dr. at Mac's next well-child appt in Nov. He stills get reflux medicine three times per day and it seems to help.
He has already out grown his 3 month clothes! I seriously think he was wearing that size for MAYBE two weeks! Man, he is a fast growing boy. I refused to put him in 6 month clothes when he was 2 months old, so I'm glad most brands have a 3-6 month size, which seems to fit him fairly well right now...today anyway! Who knows about tomorrow.
I don't have his three month picture ready yet but here is a recent one of his new favorite pastime...drooling (we call him Drool Beard; the most feared pirate of the seven seas):