Counters

                                                           Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Nearly half a million babies (1 in 10) are born premature in the US each year which is higher than that of most other developed nations. This is the journeys of our first born son, Finnegan, who was born 14 weeks early and weighed only 1 pound 15 ounces at birth. Of our daugher, Korrigan, who was born a healthy 7 pounds, 7 ounces at 37 weeks. And of our second son, MacKeegan, who was also born at 37 weeks at a whopping 8 pounds, 13 ounces. Our continued adventures reminds us daily how good God is.

Wednesday, September 3

Our first day

I was going to title this Finn's first day...but it really was all of Team Thomas' first day of Kindergarten. It ushered in a new era for our household.

Leading up to the first day, we talked about it a bit but I didn't want to overwhelm Finn either. He kept asking if "today" was Kindergarten day. I told him we would let him know the night before at bed time! The night before, he said he had a tummy ache, and I think it was nerves. Who wouldn't have them?!?! There were a ton of forms that had to be filled out and returned. Finn completed his first "homework" which was cutting out, decorating and naming a bear. He went with "Crazy Bear." Finn needed to bring a stuffed bear to go along with the theme, I think. And a blanket for rest time. His supplies were already there and daddy had put the extra items for the classroom in his locker. I lost the bus card for his backpack, so Jim made one and attached it. I filled out his hot lunch card for the week (thankfully, we only have to do this for a couple of weeks until the kids know if they are eating or not). We picked out his clothes (and by that I mean I told him which outfit I wanted him to wear...and he shockingly agreed!). He normally wears sports shorts, so I thought a little dressier the first day would be nice. He put his backpack, sweatshirt and shoes by the front door. He took a bath and went to bed by 8pm! That was a miracle. The ONE thing I forgot was that he was supposed to wear a name tag sticker the first day. Oh, well. He survived and said that nobody else had one anyway (who knows if that is true, but it made me feel better!).

The morning of, we planned on getting him up around 7 but when I got up at 6:30 to feed Baby, both kiddos were already up! Excited, I guess. Korri wanted to come with to the bus stop, so we had to get them both ready. Brush teeth, get dressed, have a muffin for breakfast (all Kindergartners at our school get breakfast at school, so we don't HAVE to feed him if he isn't hungry, which is super nice!), get shoes and sweatshirt on, make sure backpack is ready...and time for pictures! We were ready and outside by 7:15, I think and the bus was scheduled to come at 7:37!

NeNe came over to wish Finn a good first day and helped by watching Mac so I could enjoy the morning. We took pictures (LOTS!) and then walked to the corner. Finn and Jim played Frisbee. We talked with Max and his mom because the bus stop is on their corner. The bus was late, I'm sure because of it being the first day. I think it finally picked him up about 15 minutes late. And then when the bus stopped, the driver said he will pick Finn up at our driveway because he turns around in the cul de sac anyway. Sweet!! Finn hopped right up, turned around and gave me a look that showed that he was a little scared. My heart officially broke. I was okay until that point. Then the doors shut and I lost it. My baby was gone and I couldn't protect or help him. All day long, I kept wondering what they were doing and if he was doing okay (which I knew he was, but I kept thinking about it). Right when we walked back into the house, Korri said she missed Finn and asked when he was coming home!

The bus is scheduled to drop him off at 3:25 and it was super late the first day (like 20 minutes or more!). Just when we started wondering if we had to call somebody, it turned the corner. Thank God! He hopped off and ran up the driveway. He was happy until he saw that Korri had a special treat. Then he said that nothing was fun at school (because he wanted a treat, too!). Bad planning. We went inside and looked through his folder. He had to fill out a mad lib kind of thing and he said that he was sad at the end of the school day because he wanted to come back! Oh, again, thank God! He didn't have a ton to say, but we slowly got information out of him throughout the evening. I think it was all overwhelming, to say the least.

Side note: in the last couple of days, Baby has started being entertained (at least for a little bit!) by his play mat and bouncy seat! Praise the Lord. It gives me some time to put him down and try to get something done. And it is so cute to see him hitting the toys and cooing. He is getting so big...he IS seven weeks old tomorrow, after all!

Pictures from Finn's first day are on our picture website (link to the right) but here are a couple:



No comments: