Counters

                                                           Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Nearly half a million babies (1 in 10) are born premature in the US each year which is higher than that of most other developed nations. This is the journeys of our first born son, Finnegan, who was born 14 weeks early and weighed only 1 pound 15 ounces at birth. Of our daugher, Korrigan, who was born a healthy 7 pounds, 7 ounces at 37 weeks. And of our second son, MacKeegan, who was also born at 37 weeks at a whopping 8 pounds, 13 ounces. Our continued adventures reminds us daily how good God is.

Tuesday, August 12

It just got real

Wow, I think it just set in that my little baby boy is actually going to be going to kindergarten in less than a month. In a school. With other kids. Learning things only "big" kids learn. Riding a bus. Doing all this WITHOUT me. I already miss him and he hasn't even gone yet!

I got a text this morning from a neighbor asking which teacher Finn got. Wait, how would I know? I thought we got that at open house in a couple weeks. Nope, they were mailed out this week. So I went through all the mail on the counter and grabbed the school packet. Nope, just general information. Then I ran out to the mail box (bare feet and all) and yup, there is an envelope from his elementary school. It is all there is black and white. Finn's kindergarten teacher will be Ms. Thorsen. (Jim and I both really liked her at kindergarten orientation this spring) My neighbor's daughter also has her, as does at least one other boy from baseball. Good, Finn will know a few kids on his first day. Do you think they will let me just sit in the back of his room all day? All week? Just the first week? No? First day? No? Fine, I may be okay, but I KNOW Finn will be just fine.

In all honesty, I think he has been ready for kindergarten for two years. Especially academically. But one thing I've noticed more this summer is his growth socially. He stepped right up and joined baseball without knowing ANY other kids and had a great attitude about it (again, refer to our experience with tumbling class a year and a half ago to know what a big deal this is!). And made friends quickly and easily. He is very friendly to people he doesn't know (maybe we should reiterate the "no talking to strangers" talk!). We were at the beach last week and he said hi to everybody who came without 20 feet of him and often started a conversation, even with adults. I was SO impressed, especially since Korri is our outgoing one...NOT Finn! He will be fine. If I write it enough, maybe my heart won't hurt so much!

All of his paperwork is in (I think). He already picked out his backpack (Dusty Crophopper, of course). We have open house in two weeks. He now knows his teacher. I still need to get some school supplies but for kindergartners, you only need to get a few things, as they just "let" you pay for a supply box! So easy. I really think we are about as ready as we can be. I can't wait to see him after his first day and talk to him all about it. Here's to a new chapter in the Thomas household...the school years. (I really hope the kids aren't mean...that is what I really care about)

Meanwhile, here is my "big" kindergartner sleeping on his mommy yesterday. LOVED it.

No comments: