Counters

                                                           Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Nearly half a million babies (1 in 10) are born premature in the US each year which is higher than that of most other developed nations. This is the journeys of our first born son, Finnegan, who was born 14 weeks early and weighed only 1 pound 15 ounces at birth. Of our daugher, Korrigan, who was born a healthy 7 pounds, 7 ounces at 37 weeks. And of our second son, MacKeegan, who was also born at 37 weeks at a whopping 8 pounds, 13 ounces. Our continued adventures reminds us daily how good God is.

Saturday, August 30

Finn's open house

We had Finn's open house for Kindergarten on Tuesday night. First, I must confess that I forgot to bring my phone...so no pictures! I was brokenhearted when I realized that. But other than that and the total chaos of the whole event, everything else went smoothly.

First, we went half an hour early for people new to the district. In hind sight, it wasn't overly necessary, but the principal went over the handbook and things that we might not know about their school (like their elementary is K-4 not K-5). Finn's favorite part of that meeting? Finding out they have chocolate milk.

After that, we entered the world of chaos in the commons/lunch area with all the booths and things you had to pay for and sign up for. We first signed up for fall and spring conferences. Is this normal practice to sign up now? Seemed odd to me, but I guess this way, everybody is assigned a time well in advance. Then we paid for Finn's supplies...a whopping $20! LOL. The only things we had to buy beyond that were napkins, Kleenex, pencil box and two folders. I think we can handle that.

Since we didn't have a check to pay for school lunch (who doesn't accept debit/credit cards in this day and age, anyway?!?), we didn't have to wait in that monster line and headed to Finn's classroom instead to meet his teacher. She was giving an information meeting at 5pm, so we were a little early, which was nice. Originally, we thought Ms. Thorsen was the teacher we'd met at Kindergarten registration, but she wasn't. But she seemed really nice and I think she will be a good fit for Finn. We received a scavenger hunt (i.e. check list) when we got there, so we were able to complete that before the meeting started.

The informational meeting was very helpful and gave us a glimpse into what Finn's new life is going to look like. They have little tables instead of desks, which I'd have a picture of if I'd had my phone! Finn saw two friends from baseball, so he thought that was cool. After the meeting, we found Finn's locker (they seem so big!) and then went outside where they had bouncy houses for the kids. We played on those for a bit and then were heading out when we ran into Jackson (from gymnastics) and his mom.

Thankfully we did because she said that preschool had open house tonight, too! I had no idea. So off we headed to Korri's new classroom (two doors down from Finn's!). I wasn't sure if they'd have her information since I'd just turned it in the week before, but they did. And we found out that her new teacher, Ms. Pam (not to be confused with OUR Ms. Pam, Lilly and Levi's mom, said Korri!), is the same teacher who facilitated their craft and story time this summer! We also had to sign up for a pre-admission conference to go over preschool things, I guess. Glad Jackson's mom told us about it!

There is SO much to do and get ready before the first day of school. We were sent home with a whole packet of things to read, fill out and do. One thing is that Finn has to memorize and learn how to punch in his lunch code because apparently they aren't allowed to help them with this. I was a bit nervous, but Jim showed Finn ONCE and he had it down pat...of course! We have a mock-up keypad taped to our table and Finn has to punch in his code before he eats anything here at home! LOL. I hope we figure it all out and have what he needs the first day. Although if we don't, I doubt we'll be the only ones!

Jim ran over to the school yesterday to drop off a check for lunch and drop off the extra supplies we volunteered to bring for his classroom. I didn't want Finn to have to fit baby wipes and paper towels in his backpack the first day. Three things off the list, now on to the other 87!

Speaking of the first day, we never received the postcard from the bus company telling us Finn's busing information, so I called them yesterday. Oh, they never received the information that he needs to ride the bus. Of course. But thankfully, he was able to add Finn to the system right away and tell me his bus numbers and pick up/drop off times. They pick him up on the corner, three houses down from us, which is fine. Pick up is at 7:37 (give or take, LOL). Also, we will find out at our pre-admission conference, but I think Korri will be riding the bus to school with Finn on her preschool days! I wasn't prepared for that, so I'm glad I have a few days to process that.

As with most kids in MN, Finn's first day of school is this Tuesday, Sept 2. Korri's is the following Tuesday, Sept 9. I'm looking forward to getting into a "school" routine and also the few hours a week I'll have alone with Mac. I wonder if Finn and Korri will fight less once school starts. Jim and I were talking about this the other night and I wonder if they just never have the chance to miss each other. I guess we will see. At least they won't be fighting all day for me when Finn is at school!!

I promise not to forget to take pictures the first day of school. I still can't believe I forgot my phone for open house. Boo.

Side note: Baby started smiling this week. So much fun to see. It isn't consistent yet but he's smiled at Finn and Korri, too! They LOVE that.

No comments: