Counters

                                                           Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Nearly half a million babies (1 in 10) are born premature in the US each year which is higher than that of most other developed nations. This is the journeys of our first born son, Finnegan, who was born 14 weeks early and weighed only 1 pound 15 ounces at birth. Of our daugher, Korrigan, who was born a healthy 7 pounds, 7 ounces at 37 weeks. And of our second son, MacKeegan, who was also born at 37 weeks at a whopping 8 pounds, 13 ounces. Our continued adventures reminds us daily how good God is.

Thursday, July 24

What's in a name?

I'm a little surprised more people haven't asked about Mac's name, but I have a feeling they are thinking it. So, how did we come up with MacKeegan?

Well, one thing that was different this time around was that we had to have two names picked out, a boy and a girl, which we've never had to do before. And if you know Jim and me at all, agreeing on something this important is usually not easy at all! Luckily, we had the girl name picked right after Korri was born. I was watching TV and LOVED the last name of somebody on the show: Maddigan! I love the nickname Maddi and since I love long names that can be shortened and it "fit" with the "gan" theme, it stuck. My only reservation about this name was that it was close to Madison, so I didn't want her having to correct people her whole life. Oh, well. Guess we'll never know for sure. Side note: I love Addi even more, but Addigan didn't really have the same ring. Side side note: this is the name Stacey was able to guess during the rousing game of hangman during delivery. She was very proud of herself!

After Finn was born, Jim and I both loved the name Declan, which is a very traditional Irish name. But oddly, after we got pregnant with #3, neither of us liked it any more, and didn't fall into the "gan" theme, which I think I would have been okay with! Weird. So back to the drawing board. I did some looking around but couldn't find anything that was unique and that I liked enough. Jim randomly looked online one afternoon and said, how about MacKeengan? Yup, that was it without a second thought (although we went back and forth on the spelling, of course!). I've always LOVED the name Keegan (which also has a special place in our sister-in-laws heart!) but as of late, it is WAY too popular for me to name my child that. This was the perfect compromise. Once we picked the name, we knew we wanted his nickname to be Mac but went back and forth on the spelling of that too. Jim felt strongly about it being "Mack" so I agreed, as I didn't really care all that much (I already got the name I loved...and Jim got his spelling for Korri, too!). But right after he was born, Jim said, "It should be Mac." Okay, then! Ha. I guess there is nothing wrong with changing it at that point. I've called him Keegan a few times, which I think is okay, too. I have a feeling it will be Mackey (spelling?) most of the time anyway. Both kids just call him Baby for now, which is too funny. Korri keeps asking what his "long" name is!

Mac is a strong name and MacKeegan means "fire" in Gaelic. I think it will serve him well. Since both big kids have about 10 nicknames, I can't wait to see what his end up being as well! And I'm so glad you decided to be born when you did. I can't imagine how I'd be feeling if I were still pregnant or how big you would have been had you "cooked" for a couple more weeks!

Happy one week birthday, Mac! I can't even describe how much I love you already and how complete you've made our family. Oh, the places you'll go and the things you will do...I can't wait to see and experience them with you. Stealing words from Dr. Seuss:

OH! THE PLACES YOU'LL GO!
You'll be on your way up!
You'll be seeing great sights!
You'll join the high fliers
who soar to high heights.
Today is your day!
Your mountain is waiting.
 So...get on your way!

No comments: