Counters

                                                           Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Nearly half a million babies (1 in 10) are born premature in the US each year which is higher than that of most other developed nations. This is the journeys of our first born son, Finnegan, who was born 14 weeks early and weighed only 1 pound 15 ounces at birth. Of our daugher, Korrigan, who was born a healthy 7 pounds, 7 ounces at 37 weeks. And of our second son, MacKeegan, who was also born at 37 weeks at a whopping 8 pounds, 13 ounces. Our continued adventures reminds us daily how good God is.

Tuesday, July 1

Ruptured drum?

Mr. Finnegan complained that his ear hurt yesterday around lunch time. I haven't really worried about ear infections since we put semi-permanent tubes in nearly two years ago. He seemed tired and a little weepy but took a nap just fine, so I didn't think much of it. Well around snack time, I noticed there was a LOT of green stuff coming out of his left ear. Even with all of his ear infections of the past, never had this happened before. I tried to wipe the outer ear with a tissue and he started crying hysterically. I promptly gave his some ibuprofen and called his Dr. I didn't know what to expect since it was nearly 4pm already but much to my surprise and relief, they got him in at 4:30.

So, off Jim and Finn went to the doctor. The Dr. wasn't able to actually see inside Finn's left ear due to swelling and "junk" being in there but the right tube was out. I am not happy to hear this since both tubes were fine in March for his well-child check. Given the fact that the Dr. couldn't see what was going on, he surmised that either Finn's ear drum ruptured OR he has massive pressure/infection that was plugging the tube and it is now draining. I've never had my ear drum rupture but I've heard it is VERY painful. Regardless of what is going on, the Dr. put Finn on ear drops for 10 days. We got two doses in last night and he said his ear felt a little better this morning. He seems to be feeling better, too. And as long as TV is on, he does really well with the drops, which I'm very thankful for (we've had our share of screaming matches around ear drops in the past!).

We will go back in a few weeks so the Dr. can make sure all is healed and also see if the tube is still in. Now this momma gets to worry about recurring ear infections again! Argh. Although, I feel like there is an age where most kids out grow ear infections and I'm hoping and praying that Finn is at that magical age. I guess we will see. If something has to rupture in this house, not sure what is better: Finn's ear or my membranes! For now, Babygan continues to stay put, even though contractions continue!

Side story, I was going out to dinner last week and noticed a baby turtle next to the driveway. I text Jim about it, thinking the kids would like to see it. Well, when I got home, Jim said that it was all dried out and even though it was a snapping turtle (Jim typically wouldn't save a snapping turtle), he and the kids brought it over to the marshy area. But the cutest part? The kids said they were the Wonder Pets saving a turtle! If you don't know this show, there are three animals that save other animals. I just thought that was really cute.

No comments: