Counters

                                                           Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Nearly half a million babies (1 in 10) are born premature in the US each year which is higher than that of most other developed nations. This is the journeys of our first born son, Finnegan, who was born 14 weeks early and weighed only 1 pound 15 ounces at birth. Of our daugher, Korrigan, who was born a healthy 7 pounds, 7 ounces at 37 weeks. And of our second son, MacKeegan, who was also born at 37 weeks at a whopping 8 pounds, 13 ounces. Our continued adventures reminds us daily how good God is.

Thursday, June 5

Getting there

I had an OB check today (31 weeks and 1 day) and things are okay. Let me back up to last week. I'd been feeling pretty good, so I wasn't expecting anything but a quick check with a "you're good to go" at my regular two week OB check last week. I had the fortunate experience of bringing both kids with me by myself (as Jim was traveling)...but it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. Anyway, when she checked me, she took longer than normal and finally said that I was at a 1. Hmmm...like my cervis length is 1cm or I'm dilated to a 1. The latter. Great...AND 25% effaced. I was completely caught off guard but we agreed that I would take it easy this week and come back in one week for a recheck to see if things had progressed at all.

This diagnosis isn't necessarily "bad" news, just what happens after is what matters. Well, I woke up Friday at 6:45 with consistent contractions about 15-20 minutes apart and finally called the doctor at 8:30. They weren't overly concerned and by 9:30 or so, they were further apart and seemed to be going away. I was a little disappointed with the response time by my doctor but I'd spoken with her nurse so I knew my doctor was aware of the situation. Basically, they went away and there was no reason for me to go in for monitoring.

All week I've had what I call consistently inconsistent contractions. Not overly painful but definitely noticeable. I was NOT expecting a good appointment today for my recheck. Jim was able to go with for this appt, which means the two rugrats got to come along again (they are getting to be professional helpers!). She checked me again and THANK GOD there has been no change...which is what we wanted to see. While she is aware that checking my cervix can actually cause contractions, the benefit of knowing my progress was more important, at least at this point in the pregnancy. So, basically status quo for now. I feel a lot better that there hasn't been any progress toward labor and feel like I can breathe a little bit (I didn't realize I'd been proverbially holding it all week!).

I'm schedule for my "regular" 2 week check next week, so I guess we'll see then! For now, it seems that baby is staying put. I'm still measuring 3 weeks bigger than I should be but it is staying consistent so she isn't overly concerned. We will know more about that at my 34 week ultrasound.

No comments: