By way of update for those of you who may be interested and may not have heard, I took Stacy to Buffalo Hospital on Wednesday evening with preterm labor symptoms and she was transferred by ambulance to Abbott early Thursday morning where we've been hanging out since then. She is doing well as is the yet to be born Babygan. Thank you so much to everyone who has helped out and supported us with everything so far!
Since we were last here with Finn and most recently with Korri, the facility has undergone an amazing transformation. Abbott and Children's collaborated in establishing the Mother and Baby Center which is where we are currently staying. The Center is attached directly to Children's Hospital. It is a beautiful place and much more comfortable than the previous accommodations. The level of care and attention is still as phenomenal as ever.
When we moved to Waverly and decided to have another child, while I realized it was a distinct possibility with our history, I didn't REALLY think we'd end up back here in this same (but different) place in Minneapolis; but there is no where we would rather be given the circumstances. With Stacy having stabilized since the transfer and not progressing any further toward delivery, we actually have mixed emotions about what appears to be her inevitable discharge on Friday. We know that it is best for Babygan to have every day possible to grow before being born, however it is still likely baby will be early and if that's the case we'd rather be early here! Thankfully, both doses of steroids for lung development have been given for some time now and the magnesium that was used to stop the labor is good for preventing neural bleeds for baby; Buffalo Hospital is equipped to have a 34 week baby so all things considered we are in a good situation either way.
During the re-read of Finn's story, I noted that I posted the following five days before Finn was born (his gestational age at the time was 25 weeks and one day): "We are now hoping for 61 more days (of gestation) as a best case scenario. At that point, she (Stacy) would be at 34 weeks and they would induce labor." We didn't make it there with Finn obviously, but knowing that with this pregnancy we are now just FIVE days away from what we thought at the time would have been Finn's best case scenario is extremely comforting and amazing.
As I sit here, I am wearing a t-shirt that I hastily grabbed on our way out the door to head to Buffalo Hospital. It is perhaps no coincidence that it turned out to be my March of Dime's NICU reunion shirt with Children's logo emblazoned on the back. While I would desperately love to actually get to 40 weeks just once, I am overcome with emotion and gratitude thinking about the miracle that is Finn. I am appreciative beyond any means of communication in the medical advancements made possible by organizations like the March of Dimes and medical providers like Abbott and Children's which helped make Finn's life possible and make a positive outcome for our current journey very likely. If this is to be the story of our final pregnancy it is fitting that we are here in this place with this set of circumstances with Babygan continuing to grow in the same Garden as did Finn...and that I'm wearing this t-shirt.