Counters

                                                           Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Nearly half a million babies (1 in 10) are born premature in the US each year which is higher than that of most other developed nations. This is the journeys of our first born son, Finnegan, who was born 14 weeks early and weighed only 1 pound 15 ounces at birth. Of our daugher, Korrigan, who was born a healthy 7 pounds, 7 ounces at 37 weeks. And of our second son, MacKeegan, who was also born at 37 weeks at a whopping 8 pounds, 13 ounces. Our continued adventures reminds us daily how good God is.

Friday, June 13

Baby bump in the road

I had my 32 week OB check yesterday. First and foremost, my cervix has remained consistent for two weeks now, which is great news! And baby is sitting really high, which puts less pressure on my cervix, which is also great news. However, when the doctor measured my belly, it was showing significant grow in the last week, which caused my doctor some concern. She decided to move my growth ultrasound up two weeks in order for me to have that done yesterday evening, which I did. More on that in a second.

While I was trying to schedule that and figure out what to do with the kids, the results of my FFN test came back as positive. A positive FFN means you have a 25% chance that you will deliver the baby in the next 2 weeks. It isn't the worse results to get only because there is a high false positive with this test (BUT I had a negative result with Korri and still went into preterm labor, so it is what it is). Anyway, considering my history and recent developments, she had me come in last night for the first of two steroid shots. These shots are given 24 hours apart and help the baby's lungs mature. I'll go back in tonight for my second. Jim was happy to hear the steroids were being given as he's been asking about it as a precautionary measure for several weeks. Contractions continue but are not regular, however, are getting more "noticeable" than they have been the last few weeks!

After my shot, we went in for my ultrasound. I am SO thankful that Stacey and Dillon were able to meet us at the hospital for the ultrasound. The tech was needed in the ER, which means we were over half an hour late getting into the appt; so having company was much appreciated. Also, since Dillon was there and he is so grown up and mature at the ripe old age of 10, he "babysat" Finn in the lobby while Stacey, Korri and I went in for the ultrasound. That was a huge help, as Korri had enough questions on her own! I think she thought it was cool, even if she probably didn't really understand what she saw on the screen.

Basically, the doctor thought I was measuring 4.5 weeks big at my OB check, but based on the ultrasound, it is closer to 2.5 weeks, which is a big difference. Still, it makes sense that I'm measuring so large because my fluid levels is measuring at the 90% and baby is 86%! Big baby with lots of extra fluid makes for mommy having a big tummy! My goal is to actually make real efforts to eat as close to the diabetic diet (high protein; high fiber) as I can so that my eating habits don't contribute to an even bigger baby, but there is no guarantee this change will affect much.

Mentally and emotionally, I'm doing okay. I was pretty flustered yesterday when the FFN results came in, especially since Jim was in Chicago, but I felt better after the ultrasound. Even though we are still early, we know we can handle whatever comes our way at this point (thanks, Finn!). I'm so thankful that we continue to hear that baby is healthy and has no health risks. The hardest part for me, especially over the last couple of weeks, is not knowing. If somebody could just tell me when I'll go into labor and what complications I may have...it would be so much easier. Duh! I guess every pregnant lady probably wishes that...most just don't have to start wishing that as early as I legitimately do. Anyway, here's hoping for at least 2 more weeks but ideally 4 - 5 more weeks before baby decides to arrive.

I have pictures from the ultrasound but can't figure out how to install the scanner's drivers on Jim's computer. I guess that will have to wait for another day...I don't need the added stress! Technology. Argh.

And because I like posts with a picture, mommy and Gangan snuggling this morning:
Bed update: we bought a new King bed last Monday and it will be delivered on Tuesday! I am beyond excited for it to get here as it will give us much more "snuggle" room in the mornings and allow me to put my poor swollen feet up more!

No comments: