Counters

                                                           Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Nearly half a million babies (1 in 10) are born premature in the US each year which is higher than that of most other developed nations. This is the journeys of our first born son, Finnegan, who was born 14 weeks early and weighed only 1 pound 15 ounces at birth. Of our daugher, Korrigan, who was born a healthy 7 pounds, 7 ounces at 37 weeks. And of our second son, MacKeegan, who was also born at 37 weeks at a whopping 8 pounds, 13 ounces. Our continued adventures reminds us daily how good God is.

Friday, June 20

Another day, another hospital, not another baby

I miss my morning snuggles with my kiddos! Small price to pay for a healthy baby but the last few days have been trying to say the least.

So, to elaborate on Jim's eloquent post from last night, we are currently at Abbott Northwestern Hospital in Minneapolis. Here are the details leading up to this unplanned stay. As you know, since last Friday, I was told to ignore the "tightening" contractions and only pay attention to "painful" ones that were regular. I was contracting all week but nothing had really changed.

Until Wednesday (which feels like Friday to me for some reason!). We had a busy day, which I'm sure didn't help. On and off I noticed that I was contracting but with our schedule I just kept moving. Finally around 7:30, when I sat down for dinner, I definitely noticed the contractions felt "different." Over the course of the evening, I was having some difficulties but the kids had to get to bed (which I don't think ever happened!). Jim and I sat down in bed, he noticed I was struggling and asked me to call the Birth Center. I agreed because I knew he wouldn't leave me alone if I didn't. The nurse basically said to come in right away. Argh!

Thankfully, Stacey was just waiting at home for our call and came right over! The kids were still up when we left around 10:30pm (poor Stacey!) but I'm sure they crashed shortly after. We got to the hospital around 11pm. I was definitely contracting. The first thing that I really liked and appreciated was that the charge nurse took the time to give us a summary of what to expect for the next few hours and different scenarios that could play out. VERY helpful for us. They started with a cervical exam that was also repeated an hour later. Knowing I had been dilated to 1 cm and 25% effaced with the cervix/baby being really high, the nurse did an exam and I could tell things were different. She said, "Well, you aren't a 1 any more." My first thought? Oh, it closed back up! Nope. She said the baby's head was low, and I was now dilated to a 3. They put me on the monitors and would check me again in an hour.

The details are a bit sketchy to me now, but an hour later, she checked me again and I was to a 4 and 30% effaced. Time to call the doctor in, who just happens to be the husband of my doctor. They decided to transfer me to Abbott and against my pleading, they put me on magnesium to slow the contraction for the trip. Yes, for those keeping track, that is three pregnancies with three doses of magnesium. Yuck. It took a while for the ambulance to get to Buffalo. Jim headed home to pick some things up and meet me at Abbott. The hour long trip was very bumpy...I think my new crusade is going to be making sure shocks are installed in all ambulances! Sheesh.

We arrived around 3am and the perinatologist immediately discontinued the magnesium! Thank God! They haven't checked my cervix since arriving at Abbott because it really wouldn't have changed their actions and they wanted to avoid stimulating labor. Contractions have been somewhat consistent but after the magnesium, less intense. The goal was to watch me yesterday and then send me home today if nothing changed or labor wasn't imminent.

So first thing this morning, I asked to go on the monitor...and they weren't happy with what they saw. While the contractions aren't painful for the most part (except one that was at my tail bone and had me nearly in tears), they are 3-4 minutes apart. So, I'm staying on the monitor for a couple hours and then they will assess my progress and whether or not I can go home.

I'm not sure exactly WHAT scenario we are praying for (staying here and having baby or going home) but just that baby is healthy regardless of what happens. The limbo is killing me. So thankful for Stacey and my mom for helping us in so many ways. Being grateful doesn't even come close to how we feel. Will update again when we know more!

No comments: