Counters

                                                           Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Nearly half a million babies (1 in 10) are born premature in the US each year which is higher than that of most other developed nations. This is the journeys of our first born son, Finnegan, who was born 14 weeks early and weighed only 1 pound 15 ounces at birth. Of our daugher, Korrigan, who was born a healthy 7 pounds, 7 ounces at 37 weeks. And of our second son, MacKeegan, who was also born at 37 weeks at a whopping 8 pounds, 13 ounces. Our continued adventures reminds us daily how good God is.

Tuesday, May 20

Insurance? What insurance?

I'm sure you can all relate and I just need to vent. After spending 3 to 4 hours on the phone yesterday, Jim and I have realized that our insurance would rather we NOT get the preventative prenatal care that is considered necessary by the experts treating me and they would rather us deliver early and spend over $1 million like they did when Finn was born! I DON'T get it. We are being "penalized" because we are being proactive in our health care needs. In essence, they are punishing those of us who preemptively are trying to save them money in the long run. Don't get me wrong, my motive is to have a healthy baby NOT save them money but the actions I am taking WILL save them money.

I was on the phone with my old clinic and the insurance company for 2 hours (and got hung up on once) until I got to the point where my blood pressure was so high, I had to hand it over to Jim or risk going into labor (ironic, isn't?). Jim was then on the phone for another hour or more and basically, nothing was resolved. The kicker of the deal is that when you look up our benefits online, it says no co-payment is required after the initial OB doctor visit including prenatal care, delivery, postnatal care and any related complications. Black and white. But nothing is "black and white" when it comes to insurance. They are charging me a co-payment for EVERY VISIT I've had since starting ultrasounds and injections! I could spit fire. If I didn't worry about the well being of my unborn child, I would stop all "high risk care" and then let them figure out the expenses of care when baby is born. So ridiculous.

I guess "it is just money" but when money is tight and you only have one income (when you are used to two), it IS a big deal. Argh. If you can't tell, I HATE insurance companies. They are such a scam.

No comments: