Counters

                                                           Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Nearly half a million babies (1 in 10) are born premature in the US each year which is higher than that of most other developed nations. This is the journeys of our first born son, Finnegan, who was born 14 weeks early and weighed only 1 pound 15 ounces at birth. Of our daugher, Korrigan, who was born a healthy 7 pounds, 7 ounces at 37 weeks. And of our second son, MacKeegan, who was also born at 37 weeks at a whopping 8 pounds, 13 ounces. Our continued adventures reminds us daily how good God is.

Monday, May 12

Happy Mother's Day

Overall, I had a great Mother's Day. I have to say, Jim sure knows how to do it right! He got up at 7am with the kids and kept them downstairs until 9am, at which time he brought up breakfast in bed for all of us. He made scrambled eggs, bacon, homemade jumbo blueberry muffins and fresh squeezed juice.

The kids gave me a necklace they made at preschool (which Finn promptly put on and wouldn't let me wear) and Jim got me a membership to a CSA! I was so surprised and beyond happy since Jim never really seemed to be into it before. If you don't know what a CSA is (I didn't either until all my trendy Minneapolis friends told me about it!), it stands for Community Supported Agriculture. Basically, you buy into "shares" of a farm and in return you receive a weekly box of local, seasonal food directly from a farmer. I am like a kid at Christmas...I can't wait to get our first box (which I THINK will be the first week of June).

Side note: last week a member of the church came over to explain some things about St. Mary's and the congregation (I submitted our membership form a couple weeks ago)...so it was basically a "welcome" visit. He asked if I had any questions and one was about how the kids all left mass at the beginning and came back right before communion. What was this? Could any kids go? Was there an age limit" Etc. He basically made it sound like it was the church's form of Sunday School.

Back to yesterday after my wonderful breakfast and gifts, we all headed to church. When they called the kids to the front of the church, with little hope of them actually participating, I asked Finn and Korri if they wanted to go to "Church Class." Korri said yes right away and after some encouragement, Finn agreed as well. Jim and I were skeptical but hopeful. All the kids filed out and even though Finn was pushing Korri the whole time, they left and stayed the entire time! Jim and I got SO much more out of church with them gone. I really hope this is a trend to come. Honestly, I think them going to the class was my best Mother's Day gift possible!

When we got home, Jim made Eggs Benedict, even though he was partially lame after having broken his finger yesterday. Oh, yeah. We had to take a trip to the ER Saturday afternoon after Jim smashed his finger between a cement block and a rock.
It ended up being broken and was extremely painful (and continued to fill up with blood...gross!). Glad we went in, but there is so little they can do. Basically, he is in a splint for "several" weeks and is taking pain killer as needed. Hopefully the pain will start to dissipate soon. I've gotten really good at securing his splint.

So after lunch, Jim worked out in the garden for most of the afternoon and evening. He HAND TILLED it! That is crazy, especially considering I'm pretty sure nobody had actually planted something in there for several years (seemed to be overrun with strawberries and raspberries). The kids "helped" daddy and by bath time, they were all covered in dirt! A good spring day, I'd say. Now we just need to plant and wait for our harvest!

Enough about me. I want to thank our two wonderful mothers and wish them an extra special Mother's Day. We are so lucky to have your in our lives, and while you helped shape us into the adults we are today, we are especially grateful for the grandmothers' you are to our kids. And while DeAnn isn't either of our mothers, she is as close to a grandma to my kids as you can get. We appreciate you so much. I'd also like to thank all the women in our lives who are mothers, grandmothers and especially Kelsie, Becky and Renae...the godmothers to Finn and Korri. Our kids have so much love in their lives and it is mainly due to the influences of all of you wonderful women. I'd also like to thank all of their partners (and mine!) because let's face it...without our big boys caring and trying, Mother's Day would just be another day! Happy Mother's Day!

No comments: