Counters

                                                           Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Nearly half a million babies (1 in 10) are born premature in the US each year which is higher than that of most other developed nations. This is the journeys of our first born son, Finnegan, who was born 14 weeks early and weighed only 1 pound 15 ounces at birth. Of our daugher, Korrigan, who was born a healthy 7 pounds, 7 ounces at 37 weeks. And of our second son, MacKeegan, who was also born at 37 weeks at a whopping 8 pounds, 13 ounces. Our continued adventures reminds us daily how good God is.

Thursday, May 15

Breathe easier

Ha, a play on words! We are now 28 weeks and the reason we are so happy to get to this milestone? This is the point during pregnancy when the baby's lungs are able to absorb oxygen and the baby starts manufacturing surfactant, a substance that allows the lungs to expand and collapse. By no means does it mean things would be easy sailing from here if baby were to be born but it is HUGE for the infant mortality rate to get beyond this milestone. Hooray!

I had an OB check today. We talked about a lot of things but the good news is that my cervix appears to be in great shape...closed, somewhat firm and no external funneling. My OB is concerned about how big I'm getting so early and possibly the size of the baby. This is contradictory to what the perinatologist said two weeks ago (she had NO concerns), so I don't know how concerned I should be about it. Basically, she wants me to eat a diet high in protein and veggies so that we don't run into another issue where baby is TOO big! If I continue to get bigger (which I'm sure I will, duh!), she will probably schedule regular ultrasounds to monitor baby and also my uterus...there is only so much room in there! Sheesh...it is always something.

Waiting for results of the FFN test, but expecting it to be negative, which is good!

*UPDATE* FFN was negative! Should be "safe" for two more weeks!

No comments: