Counters

                                                           Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Nearly half a million babies (1 in 10) are born premature in the US each year which is higher than that of most other developed nations. This is the journeys of our first born son, Finnegan, who was born 14 weeks early and weighed only 1 pound 15 ounces at birth. Of our daugher, Korrigan, who was born a healthy 7 pounds, 7 ounces at 37 weeks. And of our second son, MacKeegan, who was also born at 37 weeks at a whopping 8 pounds, 13 ounces. Our continued adventures reminds us daily how good God is.

Tuesday, March 11

Our NICU Graduate

Today, Jim, Finn and I headed to Children's Mpls for Finn's NICU Follow Up Clinic appointment. I didn't think he needed to go this year but when I heard others we know that are his age were scheduled, I called and they wanted to see him. Okay. Anyway, this was Jim's first time being able to come to one of these and I'm so glad he did. Also, a huge thank you to Pam for watching Korri since I thought Korri would be a bit of a distraction for Finn if she were there.

Anyway, this appointment is both a development assessment as well as a complete physical. I don't want to come across as bragging about Finn but the honest truth is that Finn fully and accurately completed every single assessment that was presented or requested of him...with the small exception that when he was supposed to replicate a "T" with blocks, he did two across instead of three. Gee. He has officially graduated from the NICU Follow Up Clinic! The OT administering the questions (and all the ladies/nurses there) LOVED him. Of course, Finn couldn't just answer the questions...he often had to elaborate or add a story to it and kept cracking Jim and I up. At one point, I was laughing so hard, I honestly couldn't breath (I think it was when Finn drew a picture of daddy, included nipples and felt he had to explain what they were!). It was so much fun to be there and experience Finn's personality coming out like that. Oh, BTW, Finn is on a kick where he thinks he is super funny (and wants everybody else to think he is too!).

We talked about a lot of different things including finding a new pediatrician for Finn. Thankfully, they gave us several recommendations, so I can't wait to establish a relationship with one of them. And since our lame ped didn't make sure Finn had his immunizations for Kindergarten, we looked at what he is missing and I'll need to schedule an appt to get those shots (he is "only" missing two, thankfully).

I asked about filling out Finn's Kindergarten health form and she said there is no need to mention that he was a preemie! She said that he doesn't have a single indicator left from being a preemie! This momma could not have received better news EVER. Praise God in so many ways. If Finn's story and journey doesn't show the miracles that are possible through and because of prayer, I don't think anything does. It is worth mentioning that he is 50 percentile for weight and 10th for height (I thought his height percentile had improved a little more than it did), but that is nothing new for us.

I'm sure I forgot a ton of details. We talked to the doctor a little about Finn's potty training at night and he was SO helpful (apparently there are two kinds/ways of bed wetting...and different ways to help with each). Update on that: Finn no longer wears Pull-Ups and is dry about 40% of the nights (would you agree Jim?!?!) with four consecutive night being his longest streak. Not to be out done, Finn's little sister can't be left out (she still wears Pull-Ups because I only have enough training mats for one at a time!) and without us pushing her at all, Korri has been dry FIVE nights in a row and she got herself up twice last night to go potty! So, she might be night-trained first, but I think that will just give Finn more motivation.

No comments: