Counters

                                                           Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Nearly half a million babies (1 in 10) are born premature in the US each year which is higher than that of most other developed nations. This is the journeys of our first born son, Finnegan, who was born 14 weeks early and weighed only 1 pound 15 ounces at birth. Of our daugher, Korrigan, who was born a healthy 7 pounds, 7 ounces at 37 weeks. And of our second son, MacKeegan, who was also born at 37 weeks at a whopping 8 pounds, 13 ounces. Our continued adventures reminds us daily how good God is.

Friday, February 7

Finn Rescreen

Today we had Finn's Early Childhood Screening rescreen. He was screened back in July '12 but due to several factors (even though he passed), they recommended he be rescreened at a later date. Well, we tried last summer, but the facility was booked when I called. So, now that we moved, our new school district was offering it today! The four of us headed over to the HLWW High School. Jim wasn't able to come the first time Finn was screened, so he took Finn through all the stations. Again, Finn passed with flying colors (he should have scored a 16 for his age and he scored 28!). The nurse was concerned about his hearing because he couldn't/didn't hear ONE sound they made for him. I'm not concerned but if there is a problem, I'm sure it will quickly come to light once he is in school (yes, that will be upon us before we know it!).

They took his height and weight and actually gave us his percentiles (which his pediatrician did not do at his well-child appt). He is 50th for weight (41 lbs) and TWENTY-FIVE percentile for height (41")! I know this may not seem like a big deal to the average person, but (as most of you know) Finn's height has always been a concern. He has NEVER been above the 10th percentile before. That means he is growing faster than his past growth curve and he is most likely growing faster than other kids his age. Don't get me wrong, I'm not having visions of a skyscraper of an NBA player, but I'm just happy he is growing and so healthy. SUPER happy momma moment for me. Side note: I told him he was square: 41x41! He didn't get my humor but I thought it was funny.

Korri just had to sit around and wait, but she was SO good. She put some chairs and tables together to make a tunnel and since there wasn't many people there, I didn't care. They even gave her some crayons so she had something to do.

At the end, we met with the ECFE director, which is the same lady I had a run-in last fall when they changed the time of the ECFE class for NO reason in the middle of a session. I was completely discouraged with ECFE is our school district because they did not have ONE class for kids 3 and older with a parenting component (which, let's be honest, is why I go to ECFE). She said that she opened up the 18-36 months class to kids up to 5 years...so we are going to consider that for Thursday nights going forward (but it is still at the later time which I do NOT like). She also told us about a new preschool program they offer in Howard Lake Tues and Thurs AM which both Finn and Korri could attend. They received a huge grant so she made it sound like the tuition would be waived! I'm going to call about that on Monday because I think it would be great for them AND me!

Basically, Finn is ready for school (which we already figured!). His kindergarten registration (gasp!) is on March 10. I'm really looking forward to this because I think he gets to see the classrooms and teachers and start to be familiar with the surroundings. It is really weird that in a town that is 2.5 sq mi...I have yet to come across the elementary school! It must be on the north side of the highway. While Finn is excited for kindergarten registration, he just doesn't understand why he can't go to school now. It will be here before we know it, buddy! Where has the last FIVE years gone? Seriously...anybody?

No comments: