Counters

                                                           Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Nearly half a million babies (1 in 10) are born premature in the US each year which is higher than that of most other developed nations. This is the journeys of our first born son, Finnegan, who was born 14 weeks early and weighed only 1 pound 15 ounces at birth. Of our daugher, Korrigan, who was born a healthy 7 pounds, 7 ounces at 37 weeks. And of our second son, MacKeegan, who was also born at 37 weeks at a whopping 8 pounds, 13 ounces. Our continued adventures reminds us daily how good God is.

Tuesday, August 27

Big girl bed!

One of the promises associated with us moving was that Finn got to transition to what he calls "Austin's bed" (a twin sized bed) and Korri transition from her crib to Finn's toddler bed! This is about 6 months earlier than Finn did, but in addition to it being a bribe (shame on us!) for her to want to move, she is also potty training at night and needs to be able to get out of bed. So, necessity, I guess, but I feel like she is too young and I had anxiety about it.

Night #1: After talking to her endlessly over the last few months about how when you have a big girl bed, you need to stay in it and not get out, etc, I hoped she was ready. She did okay, but bed time was really late and both kids pretty much passed out, I think. She woke up around 1pm soaked through but did stay in her bed until we came to her.

Night #2: She was braver and got up from bed, but stayed in her room and did NOT want to go to sleep. She finally did and woke up at some point (can't remember when) to yell for me and then go potty in the bathroom. She has a potty chair in her room, but prefers to go in the toilet.

Night #3: Would NOT go to sleep and would NOT stay in her room! She couldn't open the knobs at our old house but can here. She finally fell asleep (who knows what time?!?!) on the floor of her room. Oh, well. At least she was sleeping. She slept through until 4am, until she needed to go potty. Progress, I guess.

Night #4 (last night): We talked again about how big girls stay in their rooms (I've given up on the hope that she will stay IN her bed) and after Jim put her to bed, she needed to go potty (she has mastered stalling...something Finn hardly ever did or does) but stayed in her room until I open her door. She had to point out immediately that she stayed in her room and I told her that she did a good job. And she slept through the night (or the lack of sleep finally caught up with me and I didn't hear her?!?!).

Definitely progress. I hate change. I hate transitions. We had such a nice routine before we moved, but there is hope that things will calm down again. Finn loves his big kid bed and looks so darn tiny in it! It has rails, but we thought they would be harder for him to get down and he doesn't fall out of his bed often, if ever, so we didn't install them. He was sleeping IN his bed with the light on and door open when I went up to bed last night. Hey, at this point, as long as he is sleeping, I don't care!

I have pics of Koko in her big girl bed, but they are on the camera, of course.

Yesterday was the first day of their new daycare. Jim dropped them off because on Sunday night at 9:30pm I found out I had to go into work for a meeting the following morning! Argh. My drive sucks (about an hour and 15 minutes). Jim said the kids did well at drop off and were so excited to get there. When we arrived to pick them up, they wanted to tell us all about their day and show us all the projects they worked on. Finn's note said, "We thoroughly enjoyed having Finn in our classroom!" And that his favorite activity was meeting and playing with new friends. Success! Seriously, our kids are amazing. I love their ability to adapt and enjoy new things. Korri's note said they learned about "Y" and the number "6," and her favorite activity was making a caterpillar (which she talked about several times after we left!). I'm sure we may still have some transition issues, but day #1 at daycare was a HUGE success!

No comments: